Sunday, August 18, 2024

A Writer’s Angst with Auto-Correct


by Tammy Karasek @TickledPinkTam

The many tools a writer might use when crafting their next piece is a long list. While each writer has their preferred ones to use, some may suggest they count on their auto-correct feature no matter which digital item they use. This writer will agree with that thought as it does come in handy when it catches spelling errors and can save me the red face of embarrassment of an improperly spelled word. 

Of late, though, I’ve had a love-hate relationship with the auto-correct on my phone. Granted, I’m notorious for typing fast, hitting send, then glancing up to my email or text. Not the best time to proofread something—after it’s sent. 

I spoke with a fellow writer and friend recently about how it seems auto-correct has taken on a life of its own for the proper spelling of words. No words in particular, just whatever it decides you should have used there. Yes, I know I could turn that feature off, but in some instances, I’m glad it has caught a misspelled word. 

I decided to keep a list for a couple of days to see some of the odd choices good ol’ Auto-Correct has chosen for me. Obviously without permission! 

Here’s a few for your reading pleasure:

Typed: No problem, come when you can. 
Auto Correct thought I meant: O president Blum!

Typed: Go ahead and send your piece for critique.
Auto Correct thought I meant: Gone to share peace.

Typed: Sorry, we won’t be there after all. 
Auto Correct thought I meant: Sorry, you’re not fair after the fall.

Besides the fact that I believe auto-correct doesn’t like me, I have learned a great lesson that I’d better not ignore—the fact I should always proofread everything I write before I hit the cute little blue arrow. On a post recently, I’m so grateful it was someone I knew well and was a female. The three words were changed to a sentence that was extremely embarrassing and one I wouldn’t have said. To anyone. Let’s just say she had a great laugh at my expense and I wanted to hide. For a long while. 

After all of this going on this summer, I’ve changed the name of Auto-Correct that more accurately describes how it treats me and my efforts to write quick notes and texts. I call it auto-change-what-I-wrote-to-what-it-thought-I-should-say. 

I have vowed to not hit the blue arrow button until I have read what has been typed in the message box.

What about you, do you have issues with auto-correct? 

TWEETABLE

Tammy Karasek uses humor and wit to bring joy and hope to every aspect in life. Her past, filled with bullying and criticism from family, drives her passion to encourage and inspire others and give them The Reason to smile. She’s gone from down and defeated to living a “Tickled Pink” life as she believes there’s always a giggle wanting to come out! A writer of Romance—with a splash of sass. She’s also The Launch Team Geek helping authors launch their books and also a Virtual Assistant for several best-selling authors. Don't miss her recent book, LAUNCH THAT BOOK, just released in November. 

Her work was also published in a Divine Moments Compilation Book—Cool-inary Moments. She’s also the Social Media Manager for the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, Founding President and current Vice-President of ACFW Upstate SC, and Founding President of Word Weavers Upstate SC. She’s a writing team member for The Write Conversation Blog, Novel Academy, MBT Monday Devotions, The Write Editing and more. Connect with Tammy at HTTPS://WWW.TAMMYKARASEK.COM.

16 comments:

  1. I can absolutely relate!! The worst one that autocorrect ever did was turn tenants of doom to testicles of doom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! And, I'm red-faced with you on that one!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh my! I'm blushing with you on that one!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder, Tammy. It seems to be worsening rather than getting better for me. The inefficiency and embarassment are not offsetting the occasional humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Among my favorite retorts, when auto-correct misquotes what I was thinking, is, "The inventor of autocorrect has dyed. His funnel is tomato." :-) Thanks for your pinkish quips sweet sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Huh? What does that even mean - or where in the world did Auto-correct even think that meant?!?

      Delete
    2. Say what? This is what I'm talking about - I'm sure you had nothing like this typed!

      Delete
  4. Dictation in Windows is as problematic! I was dictating a 1950s manuscript of my stepdad's, for publication. The story was about a character whose given name must have been Richard, but went by the most common nickname for that. Every time I said the character's name, dictation in Word typed ****. While I sort of appreciate that Windows isn't fond of obscenities and it was funny at first, it grew increasingly annoying trying to correct it. It was a loooooong manuscript (novelette) with hundreds of instances of the character's name! I finally gave up, dictated the whole MS, then used Find/Replace to replace the asterisks with the name! Woe to anyone in real life who has that common name! Oh--and you can imagine what happened when I dictated the planet name Uranus in my stepdad's scifi story. Yup. And spell-check didn't catch it, since it replaced it with real anatomical words. So apparently names are not OK, but potty words are. I caught the error after I sent it to my agent. (Lucky he had a sense of humor.) I now call dictation errors speakos instead of typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!! I'm just thinking of all the extra time you have to spend auto-correcting auto-correct! What a pain!

      Delete
  5. Sophia Hansen calls it auto-corrupt, which I think is entirely appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am no fan of auto-correct either. I had a few shockers before I started to make sure I always proofread before sending!

    ReplyDelete