Tuesday, May 21, 2024

How a Writer Looks at the Thriller Called Life


by Dr. Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes @KHutch0767

When authors pen thrillers, they must utilize three fundamental elements to help them craft, outline, and compose their book. These are known as the three Cs—the contract, the clock, and the crucible. The contract refers to the promise made to the reader that they will gain specific information by reading the book. The clock constantly pressures the protagonist to figure out their problem against a stringent timeline. The crucible is the pivotal part of the book when the antagonist and protagonist usually face off, and the protagonist is changed, arrives at a revelation, or solves a crucial problem. 

As a thriller writer, I’ve seen parallels between the three Cs in this genre compared to our lives. For instance, when I worked on the draft of my debut novel, I committed to work on my book daily, even if it was a paragraph. At first, I worked through a third of the piece consistently. I had few setbacks until one Monday in November when my brother died suddenly. This changed everything. There was intense grief, funeral arrangements, and shock to combat. I pushed through and stayed up late, rose early, or did a combination of both to work on my novel. Enormous waves of guilt attacked me. How could you write a book when your sibling just died? What’s wrong with you? 

Despite the onslaught of guilt and sorrow, I continued to write, knowing I’d promised myself and my mentor to finish my first draft within a specific timeframe. The sense that I was running out of time seemed to take precedence. Things worsened when my mother succumbed to COVID-19 eight weeks after my brother passed. I went into autopilot as I navigated the business of death and the deepest pain I’ve ever experienced, losing Mom—my best friend. Family conflicts arose. I had to terminate a dishonest attorney who’d been unethical in handling my mother’s will. Unable to sleep some nights, I stayed up and wrote. Sometimes, tears streamed down my face onto my keyboard, and I worried my computer would electrocute me. But I got through. Eventually, an honest lawyer closed the estate swiftly and ethically. We continue to work through family issues, but we’re better than we were. My book was published, and soon after, I completed the second thriller. I’m currently working on others. 

Like my life, our lives read like multiple series of well-crafted thrillers, with twists and turns keeping us on the edge of our seats. 

They involve the contract, the clock, and the crucible. 
  • The contract—is the agreement we make with God, ourselves, and society about what we want to achieve and how we will achieve it. We commit ourselves to a path that we hope will lead to success.
  • The clock—represents the constant challenge we face to reach our goals, fix problems, and find our way despite constantly running out of time and dealing with obstacles. This ticking clock can be in our personal lives, such as health issues, emotional/relationship problems, or professional challenges, such as the death of a loved one, job loss, or a demanding boss. These obstacles can be frustrating and demotivating, but they also serve as opportunities for growth and development.
  • The crucible—is a pinnacle in life, the point where everything comes together, and we face our ultimate challenges. This can be a crisis or a turning point leading to a new chapter in life. It’s also often a moment of truth, where we discover what we’re truly capable of, who’re our real friends, and who isn’t.

As authors, we may not all write thrillers, but we certainly live them. Our lifetimes are filled with pain, challenges, and obstacles. Yet, we also have joy, growth, and opportunities to develop in ways we may never have thought possible. Ultimately, we face moments of truth that define who we are, what we believe, and what we can achieve. 

Embrace the journey and enjoy The Thriller Called Life.

TWEETABLE

Dr. Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes is a review board member and contributor to Inkspirations (an online magazine for Christian writers), and her writing has been published in Guideposts. Her work in art/writing is distinguished by awards, including the New York Mayor’s Contribution to the Arts, Outstanding Resident Artist of Arizona, and the Foundations Awards at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writer’s Conference (2016, 2019, 2021). She is a member of Word Weavers International and serves as an online chapter president and mentor. She belongs to FWA (Florida Writers Association), ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers), CWoC (Crime Writers of Color),

AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association), and AASA (American Association of School Administrators). She serves on the nonprofit organization Submersion 14 board and the 540 Writer’s Community board and is an art instructor for the nonprofit organization Light for the Future. Katherine hosts the podcast Murder, Mystery & Mayhem Laced with Morality. She has authored a Christian Bible study for women and is currently working on the sequel to her first general market thriller novel. Her thriller A Fifth of the Story will debut in February 2024 through Endgame Press.

Katherine flourishes in developmental editing and coaching writers. She has a twenty-year career in education, leadership, and journalism. Katherine freelances as an educational consultant for charter schools, home school programs, and churches. In this role, she has written and edited curriculum, led program development, and helped manage growth facilitating and public relations.

She also works as an editor and book coach through her consulting business. Katherine provides skill, accountability, and professionalism so clients can begin, develop, and finish their writing projects for publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment