Monday, January 22, 2024

5 Tips to Effectively Juggle Writing Projects


by Ane Mulligan @AneMulligan

I can’t juggle. Oranges, lemons, it doesn’t matter. They all fall to the floor. I tried grapes, erroneously thinking since they are smaller, I could catch them easier. Wrong. Believe me, I’ve practiced, until the dog started chasing after the grapes. Those are bad for pups, so I gave up my bid for a career in the circus to focus on something I can juggle.

Writing projects.

I discovered working either one feeds my muse for the other. And all three are works of fiction—one is a script, one a novella project, and the third, a full-length novel. When I’m working on the script, and my muse twangs an idea for a good plot twist for the novel, I jot down a note and continue writing the script.

My “normal” is one writing project at a time. That doesn’t include blog articles. I can write blog posts or magazine articles in the midst of fiction. But when I first added a second fiction project to my already full schedule, I wondered if I could keep the characters straight and in their own world. 

Besides the writing, there is research, editing, and plotting. I had to keep those separated for each project. But I did it, much to my surprise. Even when I tossed a fourth project into the juggling. 

5 Juggling Tips for Writers

1. Keep simultaneous projects different if possible. I’m writing a script for an old-fashioned medicine show. It’s silly, funny, filled with alliteration and giggles. The novella is pure contemporary romance, and the novel is historical women’s fiction set in 1929-30. That gives me plenty of difference to keep them out of each other’s worlds.

2. Have character photos and a bullet list of personality traits handy. Using an actor’s resume as a pattern, I printed out a character’s photo with their main personality profile items on the back: past wound, the lie they believe, their GMCs and a few other defining facts about them. 

3. Assemble your cast before beginning that project. While I write in Scrivener and keep everything there, I have a physical story board beside my writing chair, for each project. I use small bulletin boards, and switch them for each project. Having their faces before me grounds me in their story.

4. Have some time of activity between projects. Fold laundry, empty the dishwasher, take a walk. Anything to close the door on the previous work before starting the next one. That allows your mind turn off one project and prepare to switch between the stories.

5. Set your hours so you have specific amounts of time to work on each project.

Don’t forget to give yourself grace to change your schedule when life interrupts. That simple phrase, give yourself grace, I learned from my good friend Edie Melson. It changed my life, and it will yours too.

TWEETABLE

Ane Mulligan lives life from a director’s chair, both in theatre and at her desk, creating novels. Entranced with story by age three, at five, she saw PETER PAN onstage and was struck with a fever from which she never recovered—stage fever. One day, her passions collided, and an award-winning, bestselling novelist immerged. She believes chocolate and coffee are two of the four major food groups and lives in Sugar Hill, GA, with her artist husband and a rascally Rottweiler. Find Ane on her website, Amazon Author page, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, The Write Conversation, and Blue Ridge Conference Blog.

5 comments:

  1. Ane - This is such sage advice. I often feel like a juggler, also. Your examples really helped. By the way, what does GMC in Tip #2 stand for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GMC stands for Goal, Motivation, and Conflict. My fav is by Debra Dixon. She rock!

      Delete
  2. Some writers do a project from beginning to end and move to the next. Some of us are wired to constantly have several going at the same time. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I juggled two projects last year. It wasn't easy, but it's doable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great advice. I love to read two or three books at the same time. It isn't that easy to write two or three stories at a time.

    ReplyDelete