Sunday, July 26, 2015

Do You Ever Get Tired of the Wait?

by Brenda McGraw @BrendaMMcGraw

Waiting is hard.
Waiting is hard. When growing up, we wait to turn 13 years old, and then 18. We anticipate turning 21 so we can feel like an adult.

Many of us dream about our wedding date and wait for the perfect spouse. Then we have to wait to get married.

Pregnancy lasts nine long months before we’re rewarded with a baby. At that point we can’t wait until the infant starts sleeping all night. We push through, loving every minute of parenthood, but cannot wait until they can dress and feed themselves.

Kids grow up and become teenagers and we can’t wait until they become adults so they can move out on their own. Then we find ourselves waiting for them to come home again for a visit.  

We wait in the line at the store, in the school pick up line and at the bank. We have to wait for a seat at the restaurant and then wait for our food.  We anticipate a new movie or television show beginning and it seems like forever before it actually starts.

Perhaps we are selling our house and we have to wait for it to sell and then wait again to close on a new home.

Is there ever a time when we aren’t waiting?

We watch the years fly by, sometimes ever so slowly. Then we look back wonder where the time went? Time flies even through the waits.

Waiting can be difficult. Especially when we’re waiting on an answer to prayer or for God to do something about our situation. We know God is in control and we trust Him, but many times He doesn’t seem to be showing up quite fast enough.

About twelve years ago I remember hearing the call of God on my life to write and speak. It was very clear to me that God was calling me to write a book and that I would be traveling and speaking sharing hope, encouragement and my faith with others. I questioned God, “Are You sure You are talking to me God because I don’t know how to write a book or even where to begin?”

The waiting launched. I attended a writing and speaking Conference and walked away with lots of books and some great information and a little less money. After a period of time, the info and books were placed on a shelf and life continued to happen one day at a time. I dreamed of going to the She Speaks Conference with Proverbs 31 Ministry, but it too had to wait. I have since be able to attend and loved it.

Ten years later after years of confirmation I stepped out on faith and took a writing course and began blogging and writing. My first book was published and released in March of 2014, after years of waiting on God’s perfect timing.

During the “in-between time,” as Jeff Goins calls it, I continued to walk with the Lord and serve and teach God’s word in my local church. I started compiling and writing lessons, teaching in a women’s and adult Sunday school class and leading women’s Bible study groups. I co-wrote a bible study with a friend of mine. God was growing me up in His word and preparing me for what He wanted me to be so He could use me.

I waited on the Lord’s timing. I wanted to be exactly where He wanted me and if He ever wanted me to write a book or speak I trusted that He would make that happen.

Was it easy to wait on God’s timing?

The answer is “no,” many times. We want things our way and in our timing. We are the microwave and Burger King generation. We want it now and to have it our way.

I have learned when we let God lead us and we follow Him, His timing and plans are always better.

What are you waiting for now?

Have you asked God to open doors and they seemed to be staying closed? Are you thinking of quitting because you just don’t have the energy to keep on persevering?

God tells us in His word, Wait for the LORD; be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.” Psalms 27:14

Don’t quit. Stay the course. Our strength comes from the Lord. When God doesn’t open the door we want Him to, we can trust Him and know He has a better door for us to walk through. We just have to wait on His timing. He will open “Door number one, two or three”, when He is ready for us to walk forward. We don’t even have to choose the correct door and guess at what’s behind it. We just have to trust that “He’s got this.” Trust Jesus in the closed doors of life knowing He is protecting you and has good plans for you, plans to give you a hope and future and not to harm you.

How can I pray for you as you wait for God’s timing today?


Brenda McGraw is an author and speaker who reveals how to discover joy beyond the clutter of life. She draws from her own life experiences in the #1 Amazon Best seller, “Joy Beyond, 28 Days to Finding Joy Beyond the Clutter of Life”. She is the founder of Ask God Today Ministries where she has a team of writers sharing truth and hope with others. 

Brenda currently lives in South Carolina with her husband, Jeff and three of their five children. She is a survivor of breast cancer and a heart attack.. Despite the challenges she has endured, Brenda found peace through her relationship with Jesus Christ. 

You can connect with Brenda at:

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your article. I remember being in the military; we would say, "Hurry up and wait." We waited in lines to get shots, waited for orders to our next duty station, and waited for the weather to clear to take off in the C-130 aircraft. Waiting was a part of everyday life. Writing feels that way. Hurry up and write, then wait for it to get published. God has taught me over the last 25 years that my last minute is His perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherrilynn. "Hurry up and wait" always seems to be pretty standard, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing some of your wait times. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Waiting is hard when we are focused on the future event we are waiting for. Keeping our eyes on God during the waiting puts our focus back on Him and His plans for us. Thanks for your post and reminder to stay strong in the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barbara, you're right, waiting is hard. But yes, we have to keep our eyes on Jesus. His timing is prefect. Thanks for your comment. Blessings always.

      Delete
  3. Brenda, your journey is like mine was. Out timing is even close, too! I always tell new writers to factor God into their time table. He's always right on time and with the perfect publisher. :) Congratulations on the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. I would love to hear your story sometime. Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Congrats and thanks for the encouragement about W.A.I.T.I.N.G.-----something we all have to do! And I love your book cover! Blessings~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julie. Thanks. I am glad the post encouraged you. If we live, we wait! It's a fact of life. It's how we do during the wait that God is testing us in. I am glad you like the cover, I love it too. I thought it represented "joy and praise." Blessings to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brenda for this awesome post. It's very timely as right now our family is waiting for God to take away the pain my brother is going through after chemo/radiation treatments and a bone marrow transplant. We know He's the awesome Healer! Plus I'm waiting on my own writing journey of getting published. I know His perfect plan is what's best! The waiting is the tough part, isn't it?!! Your post was such an encouragement to me. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Darlene. I am so sorry about your brother. I hope he gets feeling well soon. God will bring good from all of this and we just have to trust Him. I am lifting up your brother right now.
      Keep seeking the Lord and moving forward on your writing. I am glad this post was encouragement to you. Thanks for sharing it on FB. Blessings always.

      Delete
  7. Brenda, thanks for reminding us that we're not the only ones waiting. Some of us will wait longer than others, and one of the hardest things we have to do while waiting is to pray for those whose accomplishments, in our mind, should be ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, yes that is true. We have to keep our eyes on Jesus and keep from comparing ourselves with others. Praying for them is always a great way to stay humble. Have a great day. God's got great plans. Seek Him first always.

      Delete
  8. Brenda,

    Thank you for an excellent post. I don't usually leave comments on Sunday--I don't usually even read blogs. But I had a little time and found this blog. The message is so timely, I had to respond.

    Am I waiting?

    Yes. I've been waiting since late last year for the permission to write fiction again. The door on that was closed so completely and in such a way that I believe God did it for a reason.

    I am at peace with that realization, but confess I still sometimes feel the itch. Every time, I've given the matter to God. I ask to be released, but so far, the answer has always been, Wait.

    There are other things to do right now. Things I'd have to squeeze in if I were writing fiction. Things I might not like doing but that are necessary. Since I'm not writing fiction, however, I've been able to give those things the attention they deserve and let God take care of the fiction.

    Yes, it's difficult. Sometimes I think, If only I could get started, I could work everything out.

    Wrong answer.

    Thank you for the encouragement to continue through the waiting. And to wait for the right answer.

    Carrie Lynn Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Carrie, thanks for commenting. I am so glad you saw this post and it encouraged you. We have to always remembers God thoughts are not our thoughts and HIs plans are not our plans. We just have to trust that He has perfect plans and He will bring good in His timing. I know the waiting is hard, but it always seems to turn out to be even harder when we don't wait on God's timing. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete