Friday, July 11, 2014

Pray and Work – A Writer’s Two-fold Mandate

By Lori Hatcher

“How’s your writing going?” I asked a woman at a recent writers’ conference.

“Not very well,” she said. “I’m very discouraged.”

“The last time we talked, you were working on a new article. How did that turn out?” I asked, probing a little deeper.

 “I haven’t worked on it in months,” she said with a sigh. “I sent out three queries and didn’t hear back from any of them. I was going to look into writing for our church newsletter, but I just haven’t gotten around to it.” She took a deep breath and blew it out in frustration, flinging her hands in the air. “I just can’t seem to get any breaks. I don’t understand it, because I believe God’s called me to write.”
And then she pulled out her trump card: “I pray about it all the time!”

Nehemiah was a man who also believed God had called him. Charged with the task of rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem, he faced a formidable job. The physical project was demanding, but the psychological challenge was even greater. Governors from the surrounding area harassed, intimidated, and threatened him and his workers, deliberately trying to derail the work.

Like my writer friend, Nehemiah prayed about the situation all the time.

“Hear us, O our God, for we are despised,” he prayed. “Turn their insults back on their own heads. Give them over as plunder in a land of captivity. Do not cover up their guilt or blot out their sins from your sight, for they have thrown insults in the face of the builders” (Neh. 4:4-5).

But then Nehemiah went to work.

So we rebuilt the wall till all of it reached half its height, for the people worked with all their heart” (v. 6).

Later in the chapter, threatened and harassed, he prayed again.
And then he went to work.

 “But we prayed to our God and posted a guard day and night to meet this threat” (v. 9).

I’ve been on a writing journey for years now. My official career began when I submitted the first devotional piece to the Christian magazine I now serve as editor. One piece led to another, which opened the door for assigned pieces. As my string of articles grew, I spent hours combing the Christian Writers’ Market Guide for suitable publications that might be interested in my work. I attended writers’ conferences to learn the craft and network with other writers and editors. I started my blog, knowing that the commitment to post twice a week would keep me accountable to write regularly. To date I’ve written 436 blog posts.

Today I pulled out my writing notebook. I use it to log articles I’ve written, magazines and websites I’ve submitted to, and queries I’ve sent out. When I receive a positive response to an article, I highlight the entry. When I receive a “no,” I note that too.

The back of my folder has a special pocket for rejection letters. In it I have letters from nine editors who passed on the opportunity to publish my devotional book. Also in the back of my folder is a skinny pocket that holds the acceptance letter and contract from Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas, the company that will publish my second devotional book, Hungry for God . . . Starving for Time in November.

Along the way I’ve prayed a lot about my writing journey. I’ve sought God’s face, often with tears, asking for clarity and direction. When I stop talking long enough to listen, I usually hear his voice. Sometimes he gives me an idea for an article, a resource to pursue, or a contact to help me along the way. Other times he gives me the desire and perseverance to keep on working.

Nehemiah prayed. And then he worked.

So should we.

How do you move forward when you're waiting for a definitive answer from God? Share your thoughts below so we can all learn together.

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Lori

TWEETABLES




7 comments:

  1. Great word, Lori. I am working on a blog post today that addresses how writers come close, miss the mark, and give up. Prayer is essential, but God expects us to put feet to our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, you're so right. I look forward to your post! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. Andrea, I know you're speaking from experience, 'cause you're one of the hardest working writers I know. THanks for commenting today :)

      Delete
  2. Lori, I needed to read these exact words today. I need to take myself to task and do an inventory of what I'm actually doing to further my writing career...and what I say/believe/insinuate I'm doing to further my writing career. I sadly suspect that the lists would be quite different! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, we all struggle with this. I think Lori has managed to describe our struggles and give us the application we need to move forward! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. Oh, Audrey, I wish I could say my lists matched perfectly, but mine are lopsided, too. But today's a new day. I wish you forward motion as you press on!

      Delete
  3. Edie, you need a button just for 'like'. I really don't have a comment, just a like. ;)

    ReplyDelete