Thursday, July 10, 2014

Stop With the Excuses and Start Writing!

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

One of the most frustrating things for me when I’m approached by folks who want write is the litany of excuses that come up. I know, they’re not excuses, they’re reasons.

Poppycock!

I don’t care what you call them, we all have them. We all have legitimate reasons not to do something. We’re all insanely busy—maybe not all in the same way—but trust me, we are equally bound up with to-do lists.

In case you think I’m being callous and unfeeling, let me assure you I’ve let these things keep me from writing. And one thing I’ve discovered is this—they’re not even reasons—they’re choices.

Each of us has the same amount of time each day. Within each day we set our priorities. We decide where to spend our time. Sure there is some time that’s non-negotiable for everyone—eating, sleeping, for some working, for others being a parent.

But we all have, what I like to call, disposable time. See if any of these strike a nerve:
  • It’s that time when we choose to sleep in an extra 30 minutes instead of get up and write.
  • It’s that time when we choose to stay up late instead of getting the sleep we need so we can get up 30 minutes early and write.
  • It’s that time when we decide that closet needs cleaning out before we can get started.
  • It’s that time when we choose lunch with a friend over writing.
  • It’s that time when we watch TV instead of writing.
  • It’s that time when we waste 30 minutes texting with a friend, rather than writing.
  • It’s even the time when we decide we just don’t feel like writing.


The list goes on and on and on and on… We writers are a creative bunch, especially when it comes to manufacturing reasons not to write.

Following your dream takes sacrifice. It means treating your dream like it matters. Because it does! After all, how can you expect your family and friends to take you seriously if you don’t take yourself seriously.

Here’s an exercise to help you weed out those excuses that plague us all:
1. Make a list of all the things you HAVE to do. (Make sure they are truly have-tos, not should or want-tos. Those need to be weeded out. For example, I originally had vacuum the house weekly on my list. But I’ve learned that’s a should, not a have-to. Vacuuming every two weeks or delegating it to a family member works just as well.

2. Now make a list of things you’re willing to give up.

3. Now set a goal. I recommend you make it a weekly goal, instead of a daily one. That way when life happens (someone gets sick, the car dies, etc.) you have a little bit of grace time built in. The goal can be anything you want; a word count, a time goal, even a project goal. But write it down and put it someplace prominent. Make sure your family can see it as well as you.

4. Finally, share your goals with another writer. If you want, share it here.




Here’s the opportunity to pony up. If you're willing to make the time to write, leave a comment below, along with your goal, if you'd like. Then we'll hold each other accountable!

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES

19 comments:

  1. Oh, there comes the comment box. I sent Edie an email of my goals. Here there are: Yes, I have a million excuses for not writing! So I would like to write 2000 words a week. They may go out on my blog or they may be writing my life story.
    I also will contact my person to create the link in my blog to allow people to follow me by July 12th.
    This all starts today, July 10th, 2014.
    Thank you, Edie!

    Sharon Paavola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, BRAVO!!!! Thank you for being brave enough to go first! Blessings to you, E

      Delete
  2. Write a minimum of 500 words per day. For me setting a specific word goal works better than blocking off a specific amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, that's GREAT! But let me suggest a slight tweak to your goal. If you want to write 500 per day, 5 days a week, make your goal 500 words per day, 4 days a week. That gives you one makeup day and makes it more likely you'll make and exceed your goal! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. You guys rock! Here's my goal, I'm rewriting/editing 10,000 words a week. This is in addition to blogging and regular work. I'm trying to make it 2000 words per day, 5 days a week. This gives me the weekend. Joan, you can use this method as well. I prefer to set goals for 4 days a week, but I'm on a tight deadline and you may be too. Blessings to you all! E

    ReplyDelete
  4. My critique partner and I have set a goal of turning in two chapters for review on Mondays and Thursdays. My personal goal is to rewrite/edit at least one chapter a day up to 3000 words, 5 days a week. But I like your philosophy of giving myself at least one day for makeup writing because, yes, life does get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nakeliwalters, those are really good goals! thanks for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Wow, this makes my head dizzy. Actually set goals? Well, I do stuff every day FOR my writing, I'm just such a --horrible procrastinator. I've been critiquing on other people's work and only submitted ONE chapter of my ms. :( I could actually submit 10 chapters with the amount I've critiqued). I think I'm in denial? So, submit more chapters and post more on my blog. Also check into self-publishing some of my inpirational posts. That should do for today. LOL Thanks, Edie. Blessings back to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donevy, procrastinators are often masking fear and insecurity by avoiding submitting. I know because i used that for a long time. It can also come from being a perfectionist, another issue I struggle with. try setting a small goal, it can be very freeing when you put your work out there. Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Edie, I have read that before, and in this area I know it's true for me. As long as it sits in my to do bin I don't have to face criticism. Scarlet used to be my middle name, now it's moving into my first name--'I'll think about it tomorrow'. LOL Enjoy your posts, Edie--I've even made a file for just your writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good, Edie. I set goals and then something happens and I get behind. I like the 4 days a week goal. I'll start doing just that. This morning I've had other things to do, so I'll have to work double time this afternoon, or take the slack up tomorrow. If I know I have to do it, I'll work harder. I like deadlines. I have to set them for myself, and the vacuuming? Once a month is fine for me. I only have one room and a rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I was resistant to setting goals when I started. But just a couple of times of meeting goals was addictive—as was the increased productivity! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. This is so true, Edie! It is much easier to dream of writing than actually do it. Thanks for challenging me today to be more diligent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you are one of my heroes. I thought of you and all you have to deal with in your busy life while I was writing this. No matter what life throws at you, you still keep your writing a priority. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. I'm starting my new list today of the things I HAVE to do, what I'm willing to give up, setting weekly goals and sharing them with a close writer friend. Thanks for all your wonderful educational posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I'm so glad I've been able to help. Keep up the good work! Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. Edie, I'm guilty of this, especially in dealing with the ups and downs of care giving that seem to take up a good bit of my time. Still, I can find make time to work on my writing. I'm going to commit to 2,500 words a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, good for you! You do have a tough row to hoe (one of my grandmother's favorite sayings). I applaud your diligence and discipline. Blessings, E

      Delete