Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Branding: What's in a name?

By Laurie Epps


As writers we have a need to be heard, a need to be recognized. We have the desire to be out there, and we want to leave our mark on society. But at what cost? There is a huge part of writing that isn't glamourous. It is us, with a pen and paper, trying to reshape the world. The thoughts and ideas are but moments or impressions in our lives that we hope to share with an unsuspecting world. Today I'd like to talk to you about our innate need to be heard, but the path to get there may be spent in seclusion. Prepare for battle. It is time to buckle up.


One of my favorite movies of all time is Breakfast at Tiffany's. I just love the glamour of Audrey Hepburn and her devotion to those she loves, yet she seems lost. I haven't really ever felt lost. I always knew who I was. Instead, I relate more to the male lead played by George Peppard. We know our lead, Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly but that isn't her real name. We know our leading man as Fred but his character name is Paul Varjak. I can say, I've felt like Fred. I know who I am, but my readers don't. 

However, to our delight, Paul does meet Holly. He hasn't been writing for months, but our beautiful heroine becomes his muse, and he begins to write again.



This scene happens the night after they cuddle together and devuldge their secrets with each other. Paul tells Holly he's a writer, and yet she finds the typewriter has no ribbon in it. The next morning Paul begins to write about Holly as in the above clip.

Who inspires you? Please share with us below a person, or an event that got you to write after a lull of not writing. What broke you out of it? Join the conversation, the write conversation.

Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell their many stories. To read more of Laurie's stories visit her Monday Morning Book Club column dedicated to writers everywhere, or her Thoughtful Thursday column dedicated to the art of Poetry at: http://thewriteconversation.blogspot.com







6 comments:

  1. I hadn't written in almost a year when my husband told me he had re-read some of my writings and thought I was a great writer. That inspired me to try again. I started a new blog the next day. I love how he's my greatest fan!
    Barb Winters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, I think fans are so important. I'd have to say my biggest cheerleader has been Edie Melson, and it is why it's such a delicious treat to work with her. Thanks for stopping by.
      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete
  2. I loved that clip. Now I have to go rent the movie. *sigh* Great post. The only time I remember not writing was when I was working 50-60 hours a week. I couldn't even think then. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, I can so relate to what you are saying. The cost of living in California is so high, that at times, I was working 2-3 jobs at once. I was too exhausted to do anything else. Now that I am in college in South Carolina (studying writing), the battle has become being able to write what I want, instead of what I have to write. You won't be sorry you took the time to watch the movie. It always cheers me up when I am upset.
      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete
  3. I wrote quite a bit in the early 90's. Then between too many rejection slips and teen-aged children, I took a five year writing hiatus. When my husband's job moved us to a new area, my husband told our new friends I was a writer so I had to live up to it! LOL! Writing truly became my primary focus after that.
    Blessings!
    Pam at 2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I seriously considered writing was 2004 after I had driven out to California from Massachusetts, leaving the family behind, to look for employment. I was staying with a friend. I had just finished reading the first couple of chapters of Genesis and was sitting at my laptop sometime during the fourth week and to think about what to write to my patiently waiting wife. We wrote to each other every day via email. The job search was bogging down. I was getting frustrated. I really did not want to write doom and gloom, certainly the way I was feeling at that moment. As I sat there twiddling my fingers over the key board, my mind drifted back to what I had just read early that morning during my daily quiet time about Adam and Eve. I ponder on how could a couple who had everything in this world turn to rebellion? What on earth could possibly motivate them to turn their back on God who they knew face to face? What is up with a 'talking snake'?
    For years and years I had journaling. This was another journal entry. So I started writing. I wrote a page and stopped. I wrote about Adam, Eve, God and this talking snake having a dialogue. It looked interesting. So I sent it as chapter one to Kathe. The next day I wrote more dialogue and stopped at the bottom of the page. That was sent as chapter two and so on. On the fourth day for some reason I failed to write a chapter and send it in my daily email. She immediately wrote me and wanted to know why I stopped. She loved the storytelling. It was fun reading she said. I wrote back and told her that I was writing a serialized story. She would get one chapter a day. Should I continue, I asked? Oh definitely, she replied. That was the beginning.

    ReplyDelete