Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thursday Review—The Art of War for Writers


The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises
James Scott Bell

I collect books on writing like I collect...well...books. For me, the library I've compiled has been a big part of how I learned the craft of writing. It has also been how I've kept current in the industry. There is one particular shelf where I keep my favorites, and this small gem can be found there.

Actually, all of James Scott Bell's books on writing are there.

He's written several, seven actually and they can all be found in bookstores everywhere and of course, on his website. I've also had the opportunity to sit in his classes. If you have the opportunity to take any of his classes, don't pass it by.


Of all his books, I think I like The Art of for War for Writers best.

Writing publishable fiction takes the planning and preparation of an invasion campaign. From fighting self doubt to navigating the mine fields of the industry itself, victory can seem unattainable. As a successful novelists himself, Jim Bell knows that battle first hand. This book on writing is a work packed full of practical strategies and focused exercises, guaranteed to equip any writer for the conflict ahead. I love the way it's written in digestible bites as he translates Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" into an indispensible handbook for novelists.

Personally, this is one book I recommend frequently, but rarely let out of my site. I recommend it wholeheartedly to aspiring and veteran novelists alike.

So I'm curious, do you have some favorite writing books?

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

8 comments:

  1. Love his Plot and Structure, but probably what I use the most is Susan May Warren's From the Inside Out. (Think that's the name--laid up with a bum knee and can't go see-lol) and Kiss and Tell. I'll have to check out The Art of War for Writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Love all Susan May warren's books on craft! My favorite of hers at the moment is the Book Buddy. All can be found at www.mybooktherapy.com under the tab CRAFT. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Edie,

    Thanks for the recommendation. Plot & Structure has been in my collection for some time and I use it often. I've had my eye on The Art of War for Writers for some time, but have never read it. Looks like it might be time to do so.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, all his books are great! But I love all the practical application found in this one. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron is my favorite. Although it's not about writing, it's about the creative process so it helps jumpstart whatever it is I'm afraid to do (usually writing related). She has one on writing called The Right to Write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several people have recommended her books to me. I really need to get one. Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Your suggestion and Plot and Structure are my two favorites. Also, Donald Maass' 21st Century fiction is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, yes, I love Donald Maass's books. I say him in person at ACFW the year he was the early bird speaker. So much good information! Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete