Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thursday Review—Take an Unbiased Look at Your Site


This time of year I’m already looking ahead to what’s to come. I enjoy the holidays, but sometimes it feels like life is on hold and I’m ready to get back into a routine. One of the things I can do, is get everything ready to go when the New Year blossoms. Part of that involves taking an unbiased look at my site.


I can’t seem to help it. The approach of New Year’s, with its focus on resolutions, pulls me into a period of introspection. Actually, it’s a good thing. It gives me a chance to look back over the past year and decide what worked and what didn’t. It also gives me a push toward trying something different.

Today I’d like to invite you to join me in one aspect of this journey and take a look at your own blogging aspirations. Click on your own site and look at it with these thoughts in mind. Here’s the checklist I use to evaluate my sites. Don’t hesitate to tweak it to fit your needs.
  
Checklist
  • Make sure your site's sidebar hasn’t become too cluttered. Clean out any old links and add any you’ve been considering.
  • Recheck your default font. Sometimes you’ll find you’ve drifted into a different one. Whatever font you use, make certain it’s easily readable…on all screens.
  • Update your about me section on your site. Include the things that have happened over the past year in regard to publication, job changes, awards, and anything else applicable.
  • If you have a calendar with your speaking engagements, update it as well.
  • Also be sure to update any lists you have of other sites, like those for writers, photographers or others.
  • Now take out your mobile device (cell phone, tablet, eReader, whatever) and make certain your site is optimized for mobile viewing. This is vital because at least sixty percent of all visitors to your site will be looking at it from a mobile device, and that number will continue to increase!
  • Reassess what action you want your reader to take after viewing your blog. Maybe you want them to share your site with their friends/readers. Perhaps you’re selling a book. Even if it’s only to follow you on Twitter, make sure it’s easy for them to see what you want and then execute it!

This is also a good time to look at your blog posting schedule and evaluate the popularity and efficiency of your different topics. You can do this by utilizing the stats section of your blogger dashboard or of your specific blogging platform.

  • First, look at the most popular posts of the past year. Do they fall into a specific category or theme? If this isn’t the main focus of your blog consider making it a bigger part of your posting schedule.
  • Next, look at the day of the week when you get your most hits. Does it correspond to your posting date or is it the following day? You may need to tweak when your email notification is sent out.
  • Finally, Google the subject of those popular posts. Don’t plug in the exact title of those blogs, instead try a more generic subject search. The purpose of this is to see where within that search your blog entry is falling. Not certain what I’m referring to? Read my posts about SEO and Tagging.

We all benefit from a yearly checkup and our blogs are no different. I’d love to hear how you use this time to get ready for the New Year ahead!

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

5 comments:

  1. Great suggestions, Edie. I have to redo my site, putting it in my new pen name...fun, fun, fun. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've checked/updated some, but not all of these. Would have never thought to check mobile viewing ... one of the more important ones. Glad I read your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Edie! Great tips!!! You inspire me! I'll be coming back to this post to recheck your checklist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such great information. I have to share!!!!

    ReplyDelete