Sunday, December 16, 2012

Weekend Worship—Where was God?


He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Its times like these when we want to
know, "Where is God?"
Have you ever wished you understood God completely—understood why He allows things to happen? This week we’re all reeling from the children who were killed in Newtown, Connecticut. To be perfectly honest, I don’t believe there are words that can bring comfort to those families involved. The hurt is too senseless, too cruel, to horrific to ever be bandaged with words.

It’s times like these we all wonder where God is…and where He was when events unfolded. With a son who’s been on the front-line twice during wartime, I’ve struggled with these questions. It’s difficult to accept why a perfect, loving God would let such evil proliferate in our world.

As believers, we know the Biblical answer—because man is sinful and because God allowed us free will. Translating that into actual application while my son was in Iraq was nearly impossible. Just like it must be for those families in Newtown.

God is ALWAYS with us
in our sorrows
But, with time and with God’s help, I’ve come to an understanding that allows me to have peace with things my human mind can’t comprehend—and that's the essence of God. 

He's with us in our sorrows, even when we don't understand why. God has a bigger perspective than I can even imagine. And I’m so thankful He does. Because, I have to tell you, if my God was small enough for me to understand, I don’t think He’d be large enough to worship.

So I don’t have to know the why because I know the Who. That one small change has made all the difference.

I encourage you to let  the Who of God drown out the whys of this world.

31 comments:

  1. This is a powerful reminder. My heart breaks for those families. The only place they will find comfort is in the arms of Jesus.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, that is so true. Thank you for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. As soon as I heard the news, I thought of my son and my 21 kindergartners. Few words capture my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I can only imagine how you must feel, especially today. My prayers are with you. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Edie. You are so right - the hurt is too horrific to be bandaged with words and changing the "y" to "o" makes all the difference. Thank you for helping us grapple with this senseless evil.
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dot, you put it so well. Thank you for sharing, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Edie,
    I like the verse that says God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. I used to wonder how that could be true. Now I accept it because He said it. If I don't I will be miserable. I do know those precious ones are safe with Jesus now. And God did not make Adam Lanza pull the trigger, nor did He make Adam and Eve eat the fruit.
    Blessings,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, you're so right. I John 1:5 is a good verse to remember, Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Edie, good words. Thank you. I'm always baffled how people can so readily blame God instead of the one who casts all evil in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I used to be baffled until I remember the answer is so simple. They just don't know Him. Thank you for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Being there for someone who is grieving works far better than words. No one will understand reasons until we are there in Heaven with Him, but a hug or a listening ear works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, how right you are. People who are hurting need our presence and love. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Thank you for these words Edie,

    Hester, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hester, thank you so much for taking time to stop by. Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Edie, when praying for these families I asked "Where were You, God?" For me, this post reminds me to keep my focus on the "Who" of God not the where or the why. Thank you! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, that is the hardest thing. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  9. Very powerful post, Edie....thank you for sharing this. You've reminded us all of where we need to keep our focus. ~ Continued prayers for all those families affected by this senseless tragedy.
    Blessings, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti Jo, you're so right, we need to be in continued prayer for all those affected. Thank you for taking time to comment. Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. Very good reminder! I think we ALL needed this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I loved your thoughts on your blog as well. Thank you for stopping by. Blessings, E

      Delete
  11. Powerful, Edie. Your last sentence helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thank you. That's the way I learned to cope when Jimmy was in the Marine Corps. Thankfully, it's become my first response. I'm so glad you stopped by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Stacy, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Blessings, E

      Delete
  13. Timely words. We'll never understand such horrific acts, but God sees all; we just need to rest in him and his wisdom for all the whys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, you're so right. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  14. Very well said, Edie. While my heart is breaking for those families who are suffering the loss of loved ones in Newtown, I can't think of any words that would comfort them. I can only pray God blesses them with His Love and Compassion, and draws them closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce, I'm adding my prayer to yours. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  15. Edie, Thank you for this beautifully-written post. It states perfectly the attitude we Christians should have in this evil world.

    ReplyDelete