Saturday, October 12, 2024

What Happens When Your Writing Routine is Suddenly Disrupted?


by Beth Vogt @BethVogt

I had a new experience last month.

I broke two bones in my right wrist—yes, my dominant hand. This is my first time ever breaking a bone or two, and it was all thanks to our sweet dog Jo. She's 12 years old now, getting a bit deaf, and she meanders quite a bit when we take her on walks. I like to take photos when we go on our morning walks. Of the sunrise. Or the occasional deer. Some cheerful sunflowers. Her meandering and my photography spelled disaster early one morning when she tripped me. Down I went, hitting the asphalt hard.

So here I am wearing a hard cast through October, voice dictating my blog post. It's been interesting, to say the least.

Here's one thing I learned: it hurts to break a bone, even two little bones in your wrist.

Some are of you are thinking, “Duh, Beth!” But as a first timer to x-rays and splints and now a cast, I really didn't know. I’ll be much more sympathetic to people wearing casts in the future.

Here's another thing I learned: it's just an arm cast. Is this inconvenient? Yes. I had just settled into the routine of writing sprints every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. These 90-minute writing times were so helpful to producing word count for my work in progress (WIP).

Now this.

I'm trying voice dictation, which is anything but perfect. As I work on this blog post, it's pretty user friendly. Other days, it's been so grumpy, acting like I'm speaking some unknown language and refusing to correctly type every other word I say. That's not fun at all.

But you know what I realized? There are people who face far more challenging things than an arm cast every single day of their lives. Eventually, I won't be wearing this cast. But they will still have to navigate their obstacles.

One more thing I've learned: I can choose to be as grumpy as voice dictation or I can choose gratitude.

Some days I've been grumpy. (Just being honest here.) I can't write in my daily gratitude journal, but once again thanks to voice dictation, I can speak what I'm grateful for into a Word document. Just a few things I’m thankful for:
  • I didn't get a concussion when I fell.
  • I didn't need surgery on my wrist
  • My husband’s been so helpful and picked up a lot of slack.
  • Family and friends have been so encouraging. 

Just one more thing I want to share with you, my friends. I've been reminded God sees us where we are. And he loves us. He gave me two specific Bible verses that encouraged me when I was feeling grumpy, and I'd like to share them with you:


For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand,
who says to you, “Do not fear, I will help you.” Isaiah 4:13 NASB95


Even there your hand will lead me, And your right hand will
Lay hold of me. Psalm 139:10 NASB95

How have you adjusted when your writing routine was disrupted? What lessons did you learn?

TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” She’s authored 15 novels and novellas, both contemporary romance and women’s fiction. Beth is a Christy Award winner, an ACFW Carol Award winner, and a  RITA® finalist. Her newest contemporary romance novel, Dedicated to the One I Love, released June 20, 2023. Her novel Things I Never Told You, book one in her Thatcher Sisters Series by Tyndale House Publishers, won the 2019 AWSA Golden Scroll Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people. Connect with Beth at BETHVOGT.COM.

 

4 comments:

  1. Far from being disrupted, but put on a shelf for a season, I too find myself becoming (in my case), "Mr. Grumpy Pants" at times. I want to sit and write; I love to sit and write, but other needs interrupt when I try. I'm discovering a certain amount of selfishness, which is what leads to my grumpiness (like you, just being honest here). That's when I start praying more to take away what isn't for His glory. That makes it easier to remind myself that serving another with His love, grace, and mercy is far more important than my personal time. Will I write for Him again? I'm fairly certain He has shown me that His calling has not been removed but set aside for a season. When I return to it, I'll be better equipped and prepared to bring Him glory. For now, it happens in a different form. Praying fast and full healing, dear sister-in-Christ. Please give Jo an extra pat and treat from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.D., You've encouraged me so much, my dear brother-in-Christ. I so respect how you've turned this time into a season of prayer, and that you're allowing our faithful Father to change you in the process. I'm praying for you too.

      Delete
  2. Beth,

    Thank you for this article and praying for your healing. Disruptions are hard and I've had it happen a number of times. These disruptions test our persistence as writers to see if we can adjust and keep going--which it appears you are doing. I applaud such a response.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, I always say I refuse to waste anything as a writer -- and now that includes a broken wrist. Thank you for your continued encouragement, my friend.

    ReplyDelete