Friday, September 13, 2024

Words with Friends: The Value of Creating a Writing Community


by Lilka Raphael @Lilka_Raphael

“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller

Writing is a solitary endeavor, but it doesn’t have to be. Though most of us sit alone at our keyboards, writing is gratifying when we associate with other writers. Even if social gatherings make you cringe, consider the following opportunities to mingle while honing skills.

Different Ways to Build a Writing Community

Writing partners
Co-authors brainstorm and cooperate on everything from speculative fiction to technical manuals. If you can partner with someone already proficient in your genre, even better. Developmental editors can propose suggestions and ask the questions that expand a universe, define characters, and make a storyline cohesive.

However, if that level of collaboration is too stressful, consider a different kind of writing partner. A trusted writer that offers honest opinions or proofs your submissions helps propel mediocre writing into something great. My writing partners hold me accountable for any lapses in progress. We motivate each other to stay focused and productive. I enjoy talking with other writers who commiserate over word count and vet my choices. One additional bonus is having someone to travel with when attending conferences. 

Writing Communities
Workshops, conferences, and critique groups allow us to meet like-minded writers who can push us toward our goals. Book fairs and festivals are also wonderful places to meet and greet people with common interests and aspirations. There are endless online communities for every genre. The camaraderie is enjoyable even for introverts like me. I have met people at conferences that I now consider friends. 

Industry Professionals
Nearly every agent, author, or editor I have encountered has given me priceless advice. I have been pleasantly surprised as they have generously directed, referred, or introduced me to other professionals in the industry. One in particular, graciously took me under her wing. Still, we must push past insecurity and communicate with them to gain the benefit of their expertise. 

Many writing coaches, agents, and editors promote online workshops that are not only informative but also allow you to correspond with them directly. Success is rarely a solitary endeavor. Publishing insiders provide the guidance that produces the next bestseller. Finally, stay connected with the professionals you already know.

Divine Assistance
Our Father is by far the best writing partner I have. He gives me the inspiration and stamina to continue when I’m at a loss for words. I can struggle for hours without Him or get assignments drafted in minutes. God does not give us a task we are unable to accomplish. However, we may require His help to complete it. I find myself with more ideas than I can capture when I ask for His words, not mine. This is particularly important if we write to encourage, teach, or comfort. God knows the appropriate words that effectively get His message to those who need it most. 

We don’t have to write in isolation. Playing with words is far more rewarding when we play together. Allocate time for words with friends and make the task of writing enjoyable.

A wise man will hear and increase learning, And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel, Proverbs 1:5 KNJV

TWEETABLE

A Florida native, Lilka Finley Raphael has been a licensed pharmacist for over thirty years. Her passions for writing, gardening, and photography prompted her to share her experiences and life lessons on her blogs B Is for Blessed and God, autism, & me. You can learn more about her at lilkaraphael.com

Lilka’s greatest achievements are her two adult sons who have flown the nest. Happily married for thirty-two years, she lives east of Atlanta with her husband, Rod. They now share their home with two German Shepherds—Holly and Ivy—and one naughty kitty, Moxie.

No comments:

Post a Comment