Saturday, September 14, 2024

Reading, Writing, And A Little Bit of Easy Arithmetic


by Beth K. Vogt @BethVogt

“Reading is breathing in; writing is breathing out.” 
Pam Allyn (1963-), American literacy expert & author

Whatcha’ reading, writer friends?

As I write this post, I’m on a reading streak. I know it, because my Kindle is keeping me posted with fun little graphs on how much I’ve read. As of today, I’ve read 5 weeks in a row and 10 days in a row. And I’ve read 10 more days this month than I read in July. 

Now that’s my kind of math, my friends.

To be honest, I’ve struggled to read in recent years. My excuse? I’ve been too busy writing. When I wasn’t writing, I was editing other authors’ manuscripts. Reading for pleasure? 

Not happening.

All the while, I missed relaxing with a good book. Slipping away into a fictional story world where the imaginary characters became oh-so-real. And yes, I know reading makes me a better writer.

“Read everything—trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you'll find out.”
William Faulkner (1897-1962), American writer

This year, I decided things had to change.

I started off 2024 with one overall goal: to read more books. Pretty simple, right? Even if I just read one book a month, that would an improvement over the past few years. So far this year, I’ve read 48 books, a mix of both fiction and nonfiction. My best months were January and August, when I read 11 books. My goal continues to be to read more books than I had read in 2023. 

And I’m doing it.

Back to you, writer friends, and the question I asked at the beginning of this blog post:

Whatcha’ reading? 

Are you reading for pleasure? Reading books about our writing craft? A bit of both? Did you start off the year with a reading goal or some sort of plan? Do you think reading makes you a better writer? 

I’d love to know how you fit reading into your writing life. Do you, like me, struggle with reading? Let’s talk about it in the comments. What’s your biggest challenge when it comes to finding time to read?

TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” She’s authored 15 novels and novellas, both contemporary romance and women’s fiction. Beth is a Christy Award winner, an ACFW Carol Award winner, and a  RITA® finalist. Her newest contemporary romance novel, Dedicated to the One I Love, released June 20, 2023. Her novel Things I Never Told You, book one in her Thatcher Sisters Series by Tyndale House Publishers, won the 2019 AWSA Golden Scroll Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people. Connect with Beth at bethvogt.com.

9 comments:

  1. Working on my first book review for a magazine. Now I MUST read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first book review for a magazine -- and yes, now you have a good reason to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd fallen out of love of reading since I got published. Many times, during what was supposed to be pleasure reading, I was reading books to see what novels similar to mine were like or reading friends' books even though their genre wasn't one I liked. I've had to make concrete rules that when I read at night or on Sunday, it is for my enjoyment only. Those rules make me feel like a person with a more traditional job because I am not working on my craft or marketing 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's important to remember to step away from our writing jobs and to read for relaxaxation.

      Delete
  4. Beth,

    Interesting piece about reading. If I'm struggling to read, I will change the format. Maybe I listen to the book instead of read it. Or I will listen to the book while I read it. When I do both read and listen, it forced me to focus on the words and what is being said and not get distracted. Hope these ideas are helpful.

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition) [Follow the Link for a FREE copy]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, Thanks for your suggestions. I switch back and forth between print and e-books.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished two wonderful books: Deep Wounds, Deep Healing by Charles Kraft and The Downstairs Girl by Stacy Lee. Next on my list is Kristenlavransdatter by Sigrid Unsted. It's actually three books. I tend to read at night, after the day's work is done. It's how I wind down. I need about an hour...but when I'm near the end of a rollicking good tale, I'll give up sleep :) I usually have one fiction and one nonfiction going at the same time. I confess that I'd rather read than write and on busy days will forgo the writing... Today, I've not written a jot--except some notes at church because the homily was so good. When we came home it was time to take care of the household tasks--cooking, cleaning--because Sundays we sing at two Latin Masses. True leisure. Worship!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've mostly been reading fiction, with a smattering of writing books and other non-fiction. My favorite book from the past months is Lethal Standoff by DiAnn Mills.

    ReplyDelete