Thursday, September 19, 2024

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU'RE EXHAUSTED BY CHASING THE NUMBERS FOR PUBLISHING SUCCESS, PART 2


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Yesterday I shared how to get past the frustration of growing a platform for marketing and publishing. At the end of this post is a link to that post. 

Today, I want to share the questions I ask myself regularly to help me make sure I'm doing my part and letting God do HIS PART! Because truthfully, almost one-hundred-percent of my stress comes when I try to control the parts of publishing that are beyond my reach. 

I Stay Focused on My Publishing Purpose By Asking Myself These 12 Questions 

  • 1. What is my mission statement? You do have one, I assume. If not, it’s time to work on one. A mission statement is the perfect way to filter out noise and make sure we’re staying true to our calling. (Here’s mine: I believe God has a purpose for everyone’s unique story. I encourage others to live that story by telling stories of my own—through words and pictures. I’m a writer who feels lost without her camera and a reluctant speaker who loves to encourage an audience. All my books point to the transformational possibilities inside each of us when we tap into our God-given strengths) If you don't have an author mission statement, here's a link to my blog post on Creating an Author Mission Statement
  • 2. How does my current project reflect either all or part of my mission statement?
  • 3. Who is my audience?
  • 4. Where is my audience?
  • 5. What is God showing me through my current circumstances and how does that align?
  • 6. What felt need(s) dovetail with the previous 5 answers?
  • 7. How much time do I have to spend on my current project(s)?
  • 8. How much time do I have to spend online?
  • 9. What are my favorite ways to interact (written words, video, audio, images, graphics, etc)?
  • 10. What do I enjoy about being online?
  • 11. What do I dislike most about being online?
  • 12. How much time AM I spending with God daily?

Question #12 is truly the most important one for me. When I begin to get busy and my daily time with God shrinks, EVERYTHING falls apart. Now it's your turn. What do you do to stay on track? Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section below. 


Don't miss the rest of this series!

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her WEBSITE, through FACEBOOK, X (FORMALLY TWITTER) and on INSTAGRAM.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list, Edie. Thank you. I also find that when my time alone with God is curtailed, things fall apart. He is my center, so I begin the day with Holy Mass. I have a little bird clock and when the bird calls, it's a reminder to turn to Him, thanking him for the previous hour and entrusting the next hour to Him. A few years ago, I discovered this beautiful prayer from St. Gertrude: O MOST sweet Jesus; I commend to Thy Divine Heart all that I have done in the hour that is gone; to be cleansed and purified, and offered to God the Father for His eternal praise. And whatsoever I shall do in the hour that is beginning; I resolve to do simply and purely for the glory of God and for the salvation of all mankind; in union with Thy Passion. Amen.

    ReplyDelete