Wednesday, September 18, 2024

What to Do When You're Exhausted by Chasing the Numbers for Publishing Success, Part 1


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Who is frustrated by online marketing—from email lists to websites, social media to Amazon keywords?

I think we can all agree we’re exhausted by the rat race. The world has us chasing an ever-changing target. 

Let’s think about that statement for a moment. 

THE WORLD has us chasing an ever-changing target. 

I don’t see God anywhere in that sentence, do you?

Personally, I believe the world has sold us out when it comes to marketing. We have been told to be successful we need to grow our numbers, increase our reach, and find ways to get to our audience. 

But what if we’re looking at things from the wrong perspective? What if none of this was part of God’s plan when He called us to share our words? 

What if, His purpose for us is obedience, service, and love? Not growth, marketing, and sales?

God has given me personally a passage of Scripture—which hangs above my desk—to help me focus on HIS will for me and my interactions.

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3 – 4

Consider how our goals would change if we measure success from God’s perspective instead of the world’s?
  • We would find joy as God is pleased with our obedience
  • We would find contentment as we walk in the strength of our part in God’s plan
  • We would find peace as we let go of the things that are not our responsibility

Here’s how I think things might go if we followed God’s path:

  • 1. God would inspire us and we would obediently set down our words—sometimes spoken, sometimes written, sometimes set to music, sometimes through video.
  • 2. We would obediently let people know about our message—websites, podcasts, manuscripts, speaking.
  • 3. We would trust God to do HIS PART—guide us to the agent we need, who will find the publisher God chooses. 
    • a. We would NOT worry and stress and strive for numbers or position.
    • b. We would NOT fall for the lie that we are entitled to a publisher or to a certain level of visibility.
    • c. We would NOT allow envy, jealousy, or competition to enter our hearts and dominate our actions.
  • 4. We would serve the people God sets before us. Whether we have one or one thousand, we will be obedient. 
  • 5. We follow the purpose of our message as we share with those God sets before us. This doesn’t mean we don’t use the tools God has given us. We can trust God to do His part, but we must also do ours. And part of that is learning to use those tools, WITHOUT relying on them to solve all our problems.
    • a. Social media
    • b. Marketing
    • c. Speaking
    • d. Blogging
    • e. Writing
    • f. Proposal writing
    • g. Amazon interfaces
  • 6. We would pray for the people who are currently reading our words and interacting with us.

I know this sounds too good to be true. I can hear your comment:
Publishers and agents tell us we MUST have numbers

Yes, I've hear them say that. But let me ask you a question:
Who reading this has seen someone get a contract who does NOT have the numbers? Every week I see people with "worse" numbers than someone else, get awarded the contract. 

God is the One who decides where our words land. THAT is truth. 

What we must not do is expect to be the one who dictates where our words and our message lands.

God is able to do what He says He will:

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:8 – 10 

  • God didn’t save us for fame and fortune. 
  • God didn’t call us to get rich
  • God called us to the works HE ordained before the beginning of the world!

Consider this passage as it pertains to publishing and speaking:

I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building. 1 Corinthians 3:6 – 9 

This publishing and speaking thing takes a lot of people—whether we’re going the traditional route or the indie route. 

Part two of this post will share some of the questions we need to ask ourselves so we can stay aligned with God's purpose for our writing. But in the mean time, what about you? How do you deal with the frustration of chasing numbers?

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her WEBSITE, through FACEBOOK, X (FORMALLY TWITTER) and on INSTAGRAM.


18 comments:

  1. Saving this one for future encouragement when that big ol’ brick wall rises up in front of me yet again. Thank you so much for taking time to pour into us…it matters. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerri, thank you for stopping by! I figured we could all use the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. This is encouraging my weary soul this morning, Edie. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all get weary and it’s been a long year online!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for speaking the truth into me. I'm looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much wisdom here. It reminds me of Mother Teresa, who said (and I'm paraphrasing), we're called to be faithful and obedient, not necessarily successful (esp. in the eyes of the world). It reminds me always to surrender everything into His Hands. Thank you so much for your beautiful reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vijaya, when it finally dawned on me what my part of the equation is in this whole publishing thing I felt greatly relieved! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. Wow. What a great and true post. It’s easy to get things turned around and chase after numbers instead of focusing on those we can help. Thanks for the reminder.

    Tim Suddeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, it is a battle! And it’s one I fight frequently!

      Delete
  6. Timely encouragement. Thank you for sharing this, Edie! I needed to hear it and am definitely saving it for later reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I’m so glad God used this to encourage you!

      Delete
  7. It's so easy to get off-track. Thank you, Edie, for helping us stay the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, it really is easy for me to be overwhelmed and jump into “fix it myself” mode and forget God already has a perfect plan!

      Delete
  8. This is the best sermon I've "heard" in a long time. I've prayed for God to tender my heart, to show me where HE is leading, and this ... THIS is what I needed to read today. Thank you for using your gifts to help those of us who are overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina, I’m so glad God used my words to encourage you!

      Delete
  9. I am thankful for your post. Your thoughts are the path I try to stay on. I pray, work, and leave the rest to God-after all he is the one to give the increase.

    ReplyDelete