Sunday, September 8, 2024

How to Beat Writing Exhaustion


by Martin Wiles @LinesFromGod

Exhausting. From a teacher’s perspective, I can think of no better word to describe the first week of school. 

This year, we began with two days of in-service. But not two days to serve in our rooms. The headmaster only promised less than two hours of that each day—thankfully, we got a little more. Meetings filled both days. New Information. New rules. Other changes. As usual, my brain lit up, “Info Overload,” by the day’s end. 

Then, the kids showed up. The first day was tolerable, other than having to reign them back into a schedule they hadn’t experienced for almost three months. Besides that, we teachers spent every class reminding them of the old rules and informing them about the new changes. By the end of the day, my voice croaked. 

By the second day, I was done with the rules. Time to get busy teaching. Other than the sixth graders, the other two grades had already ridden a rodeo with me and knew my expectations. I was a hard sell, a tough knot, and they knew the drill. 

What I wasn’t ready for was my eighth-grade computer class. Our young folks might be tech-savvy on their devices (smartphones), but most know little, if anything, about the practical use of laptops and desktops--how to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or their Google counterparts. Getting them signed in to their school emails and then to typing.com took one-and-a-half class periods. 

When Saturday morning rolled around, I told my wife, “I don’t want to do anything today except sit in my recliner and read, write, and edit.” For me, that’s the essence of relaxation. 

Amid the busy school week came attending the funeral of a church member and receiving a new writing assignment. Additionally, I had my usual writing and editing duties, along with preparing a sermon and Sunday school lesson for Sunday. Somewhere in that mix, I had to make time for my beautiful wife, our two fur babies, our aging parents, my children, and our grandchildren. Exhausting. 

I thought about the psalmist’s words: “It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones” (Psalm 127:2 NLT).

Life can be exhausting. So can writing, which may be why many give it up or don’t pursue it as diligently as they should. If God has called us to it (part- or full-time), he will give us the strength to carry out the calling. He’ll not overload us, although we can easily overload ourselves. Jesus knew the importance of downtime, and we must schedule it, too, or we’ll find ourselves hating what we should love: writing. 

Stress erupts from Struggle, Tension, Restlessness, and unrealistic Expectations. But with Stretching (physical and spiritual exercise), we can find Satisfaction. Jesus calls it the abundant life, and Paul terms it peace beyond our understanding. 

Don’t give up on what God has called you to do. The writing life doesn’t have to be exhausting, and when we look to God for guidance, it won’t be.

TWEETABLE

Martin Wiles lives in Greenwood, SC, and is the founder of Love Lines from God. He is a freelance editor, English teacher, pastor, and author. He serves as Managing Editor for both Christian Devotions and Vinewords.net and is an instructor for the Christian PEN (professional editor’s network). Wiles is a multi-published author. His most recent book, Hurt, Hope and Healing: 52 Devotions That Will Lead to Spiritual Health, is available on Amazon. He and his wife are parents of two and grandparents of seven. He can be contacted at mandmwiles@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. I am in awe of teachers in general, and especially those who are also writing. Kudos to you all! Although I don't have nearly the busy schedule you have, I find my Sabbath rest energizes me for the next week.

    ReplyDelete