Sunday, June 30, 2024

When Failure Brings Blessings


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Corinthians 12:10 NIV).

For me, failure reinforces and validates the fears I battle as a writer. Every mistake I make seems to add weight to the voices I hear in my head that feed my insecurity. And I make a lot of mistakes. Because this vicious cycle can bring my writing to a screeching halt, I’ve had to find a way to combat this way of looking at life. 

One week I was overwhelmed with assignments—blog posts, articles, devotions, and even a book—all due in the same week. Although I’d love to say I was organized and everything went off without a hitch, it didn’t. The book I turned in had all my attention and the other assignments suffered. By the time Friday rolled around I felt like I’d been to war and back—finishing up wounded and weary. I’d been honest on social media about the craziness of the week and how I’d tried to make sure my work was typo-free and on time, but I’d fallen so short it was pathetic, and I knew it.

Truthfully, I felt like quitting that week. Everywhere I turned, the evidence of my failure was on view to the world. I couldn’t see how my less-than-stellar work was blessing anyone. The last straw was the blog post I’d published on my own site that morning. As I read it in the email that had been sent out I just shook my head. The typos and other mistakes seemed to prove my ineptitude.

That was the day the email arrived in my inbox. 

A new writer shared that although it had taken all her courage to write me, my openness about my struggles and my doubts that week had given her the push she needed. She felt I’d understand her turmoil. She went on to say that the fact I’d fallen short of perfection was an encouragement and was keeping her from quitting on the call God had placed on her life. 

She shared her struggles, and I finished the email with tears in my eyes. How like God to show me once again how He was at work through me, no matter how imperfect I was. He reminded me that I wasn’t the one who needed to be perfect. He has that covered—and in His perfection—He makes everything work together exactly as it should.

Now let me pray for you.

A Prayer When I Let Failure Make Me Doubt

And you must show mercy to those whose faith is wavering (Jude 1:22 NLT).

Dear Lord, I had such energy and hope when I first heard You whisper that I would be a writer. My imagination and dreams soared to all that calling would be. But now I’m no longer flying, instead I’m crawling through the mud of defeat and despair. Did I hear You wrong? Am I supposed to write for You or was it something I just made up?

Following You is all I’ve ever truly wanted. Help me grow into the person You designed me to be. Don’t let my expectations get in the way of hearing Your voice. Replace the false ones with the calling that allows me to be exactly who You made me to be.

Speak to me. Let me clearly hear what Your plan is for my life. I don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere with writing. I wonder how You could have called me to a place of failure. 

Show me how You’ve spoken through my words. Let me see evidence that this calling was from You. Don’t let me deceive myself either way. I’m at a place where what I desire most is Your truth. There have been times when You’ve used my writing. I admit. But do those few times mean You meant me to be a writer? Clear out the confusion and replace it with the light of Your plan. Ensure that my heart’s desire lines up with all that You have in store for me. I trust You, and I trust the fact that You love me. Use me where I am, and open my eyes to see You at work. Amen.

*Content reprinted with permission from Soul Care for Writers, Bold Vision Books, Inc.

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. She’s learned to embrace the ultimate contradiction of being an organized creative. As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives, often using creativity to empower this connection. The Write Conversation, the blog she developed and manages, reaches thousands and has been on the Writer’s Digest Top 101 Sites for Writers since 2017. As a social media and blogging expert she’s worked with clients that range from authors and speakers to business and ministry leaders. She also knows the necessity of Soul Care and leads retreats, conferences & workshops around the world on staying connected to God. Her numerous books, including the award-winning Soul Care series reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts. She’s the director of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference and board member of the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association.

She and husband Kirk have been married 42+ years, and live near their three sons and three grandchildren in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Edie and Kirk can often be found with their big black dog hiking—Edie hanging off ledges for the best camera angle and Kirk patiently carrying her tripod. Connect with her on her website, www.EdieMelson.com and through social media.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you, Edie. Once again, your words hit home and remind me we are but vessels for God to reach others with out words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a coincidence God led me to this blog post today. My motivation has been waning, my calling questioned--again. Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I'm so glad used this post to encourage you and help you stay strong! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I love this Scripture and your beautiful prayer. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vijaya, I'm always so grateful to be able to pray for and encourage other writers! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I needed this TODAY. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it encouraging! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Your words are perfect, Edie. Just perfect. I'm printing them out and keeping them so I can pray them when I need them again.

    ReplyDelete