Monday, October 23, 2023

7 Self-editing Tips for Writers


by Ane Mulligan @AneMulligan

Over the years, I've developed a list of things to look for when I edit. This goes before typos and word choices. These are my initial editing in the second draft.

1. Purpose of scene:
Every scene must have a specific purpose:
  • A. Establish time and place.
  • B. Character emotional development.
  • C. Goal: story goal and character motivation.
  • D. Dramatic action or new information that changes things for the character, thus moving the story forward.
  • E. Every scene must contribute to the main plot. 

2. Conflict:
Not all novels contain heart-stopping conflict. Anne of Green Gables had the tension of the unanswered question: Will Anne be adopted? Tension can carry the reader through a story. That said, Donald Maas tells us to ask what is the worst thing that could happen to your character? Make it happen and go one worse. 

Is your character a single mother? Have her lose her car. What could be worse? Losing her job. Have her lose it because she can't get to work on time without a car. What could be worse? Losing her child. 

3. Cliff hanger end:
We should try to have each chapter end with a cliff hanger that makes the reader turn another page, even if it's three in the morning. We never want to give the reader a reason to put our book down. They have to sometimes, but having a good cliffhanger will make them hurry back to it the next night. 

If your character is right in the middle of a problem/argument/whatever build the tension throughout the scene, then just before it's resolved, have an interruption (doorbell, phone, fireworks, whatever). 

These cliffhangers are not always easy. I tend to be nice to my characters, but I'm learning to be meaner. Both my critique partners, Michelle Griep and Tara Johnson, are masters at this. 

4. The Magic Paragraph:
This literary device will keep your reader grounded in your character's POV and your story. I wrote a blog post about this last year. You can read it here, The Magic Paragraph: A Tool That Belongs in Every Writers Toolbox. 

There are 4 elements that make up the Magic Paragraph. Each scene should begin with it and repeat it when necessary, like changing POVs.
  • A. Signal whose head to enter
  • B. Write an appropriate sense, emotion or mental faculty
  • C. Show appropriate action or response
  • D. Repeat if necessary 

Even if you write in first person, you still need the magic paragraph. From my WIP, Take My Hand:

I open Wild Azalea’s back door to a kitchen full of smoke. My heartbeat kicks into overdrive as I jump into the fray, grabbing the nearest fire extinguisher. 

The above sentence hits the first three items. A: I; B: My heartbeat kicks into overdrive; C: I jump into the fray, grabbing the nearest fire extinguisher. 

5. Sensory Details:

Every scene should have at least two of the five senses: sight, sound, smell, touch, and taste. Readers relate to the five senses, making them part of the scene. The five senses are vital to making fiction come alive.

How many times have you smelled an aroma that took you back to your childhood? We smell popcorn and immediately think movies, maybe holding hands with a boyfriend. What does your female lead smell when she walks into the room? And would a male character notice the same aromas? Or would he pick out different ones? The heroine slips on a coat, the silk lining is cool on her skin before her body heat lends warmth. We've all felt that. You hear a melody that harkens to a romantic evening. Or the screech of brakes sends shivers of grief down your spine.

6. The M/C's Reactions:
It's vital to show your main character's reactions—both internal and external—to what happens. It's the difference between reading a story and experiencing it with the character.

This male lead is a chef. He gets a phone call from a friend. She's calling to set him up with a blind date.

“Hey, Willow. Good to hear from you. Whatcha been up to?” I met her, what—ten years ago? We went out once, but I wasn’t flashy enough for her. Despite that, we became good friends. She’s like the little sister I never had.

“Work, mostly. I’ve sworn off all men. Except you, of course.”

I’ve heard that before. Every time she breaks up with some guy, she says it. “Why?”

Willow giggles—she never chuckles. “I’ve sworn off men because of the last louse I dated. He was dealing drugs.”

What? My protective hackles rise. 

7. Weasel Words:
These are words we use way to often and are usually unnecessary. I also do a final weasel word search before turning my book into my editor.
  • A. Just 
  • B. That
  • C. Really 
  • D. Suddenly (it's more effect to simply say: A shot rang out.)
  • E. Very, every, some, most (qualifiers)
  • F. Feel/felt/looked (telling not showing)
  • G. Emotion words like happy/sad/worried/scared (again, telling not showing)

Use the FIND feature in your software and plug in some words you might overuse. 

TWEETABLE

Ane Mulligan lives life from a director’s chair, both in theatre and at her desk creating novels. Entranced with story by age three, at five she saw PETER PAN onstage and was struck with a fever from which she never recovered—stage fever. One day, her passions collided, and an award-winning, bestselling novelist emerged. She believes chocolate and coffee are two of the four major food groups and lives in Sugar Hill, GA, with her artist husband and a rascally Rottweiler. Find Ane on her WEBSITE, AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, THE WRITE CONVERSATION, and BLUE RIDGE CONFERENCE BLOG.

12 comments:

  1. This is very helpful! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great advice, Ane. Thanks for sharing. I shared it with our authors at Mt Zion Ridge Press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny. I love sharing what I've found helpful over the years.

      Delete
  3. Great timing. I’m starting today rewriting one of my manuscripts. I’ll keep this list beside my laptop.
    Tim Suddeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim. Funny thing, I started rewriting an old manuscript and pulled this list out. That's when I decided it should be my October post.

      Delete
  4. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very timely for me. Just typed THE END to my book at 1:00 this morning. I’ll be reading through this week and tweaking. Will consider these. Thanks. 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tips, Ane! I'm bookmarking this page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this! I am editing and it is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete