Wednesday, August 30, 2023

9 things on My NOT-TO-DO Writing List


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

I don’t know about you, but life can be a little stressful when my To Do list is full to overflowing. To combat this, I spend some time taking an honest look at all the things on my plate. When I've done this, I inevitably find that just like piling on too much at a family potluck, my plate is overloaded.

It’s funny, but the worst offenders always turn out to be the things I really shouldn’t have added in the first place. So today I’m sharing what I discovered. And by the way, discovering these was painful for me too!

A NOT-TO-DO List for Writers

1. Stop worrying about results. I’m a control freak and spend the most mental effort trying to affect outcomes instead of pouring energy into the work itself. I will be obedient with what God has given me (time, ideas, resources, etc.) and I will leave the results up to Him

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps. (Proverbs 16:9 ESV)

2. Quit comparing. So what if Susi Author has 25,000 Instagram followers or Jason Writer finaled in the most recent contest? God has a plan for MY writing that doesn’t look like anyone else’s. I need to focus on that, not what is happening to everyone.

For where envy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every kind of evil. (James 3:16 HCSB)

3. Stop shortchanging time with God. I’ve learned that when I’m over loaded the LAST thing I need to do is skimp on reading the Bible, praying and spending time with God.

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:33 ESV)

4. Don’t work even harder. But stressed makes me want to work longer hours to get caught up. That’s a trap. Instead, when life caves in, rest and joyful activities are even more important. We can’t get water from a dry well.

And he said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.” For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. (Mark 6:31 ESV)

5. Stop relying on your own strength. This goes hand in hand with #4 above. All my inspiration, talent and knowledge comes from God. It’s HIS strength that gets me through the hard times. 

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will also help you, I will also uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ (Isaiah 41:10 NASB)

6. Don’t give head-space to doubt and fear. I have learned that when I’m stressed, Satan comes after me swinging hard. And one of the first traps he sets is with doubt and fear. When life is difficult is NOT the time to rethink your calling or stop because you’re afraid. Instead it’s time to remember God’s call and move forward in faith. 

For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.(Romans 11:29 NET)

7. Stop working in chaos. When I get overwhelmed, I get mentally messy and scattered. I’ve found that’s when I need to stop, make a list and prioritize. I look at my schedule and figure out what I actually time I actually have and how I can use it most effeciently.

For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.(1 Corinthians 14:33 NIV)

8. Don’t anticipate trouble. When I’m stressed, I often slip into a negative mindset and find myself assuming the next email/phone call/message will be more problems. When I quit looking for trouble, it’s easier to dig my way out of an overloaded season. 

So then, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34 ESV)

9. Quit assuming it’s always going to be this way. When I’m in a hard season, I tend to feel like things are never going to get better. I need to remember life hasn’t always been this way and there will come a time when it will get easier.

Because of the Lord’s faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness (Lamentations 3:22-23 HCSB)

The life of a writer has seasons—some are easy and some are more difficult. The one constant in our lives is God. Where ever we are, He is with us. The most important thing to remember is not to get caught up looking at the problems and instead look up. Whatever we’re facing, He’s already got a plan. 

This is my NOT To Do List, what would you add to it? 

Don’t forget to join the conversation!

Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives.Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram.

Featured Image: Photo by Nadine Shaabana on Unsplash


5 comments:

  1. Number 7, Stop Writing in Chaos, was the hardest for me to learn. I felt like I "must" write every day. But when I finally learned that, when I came back to write, I was actually refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with anxiety and depression. Despite my efforts to smooth it over with the excuse that I'm a realist, truth is I'm a pessimist. So most of this list is an absolute struggle for me, especially in this season of my writing journey. But thank you for sharing this! It's a constant reminder I sorely need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What enters my mind (having done it a time or two) is not expecting someone else to remove the issues plaguing me. I’ll have to reread your list to verify you didn’t say that in a different way. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome word.. thnx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. Great reminders.

    ReplyDelete