Saturday, June 10, 2023

Writers, I Double-Dog-Dare You to Have Fun This Summer


by Beth K. Vogt @BethVogt

A few nights ago, I dusted off our long-ignored backgammon board my husband Rob and I’d received as newlyweds oh-so-many-years-ago. 

Were we rusty? Yes. The game required a review of the rules and a search for an extra set of mismatched dice. Our game was more low-key than competitive, but that will change as time goes on. 

The TV was turned off. Our laptops were shut. The To Dos were ignored. 

It was a fun hour—and yes, Rob won. Give me a few more practice games, and things will get more intense. 

What does backgammon have to do with writing, Beth? Maybe the heroine of my work-in-progress (WIP) will play backgammon. 

More importantly, consider this blog post your official reminder to make time in your busy life to have some fun.

Summer begins on June 21. All too often as writers, we panic as we try to figure out how to keep writing when the kiddos are home during the summer months. Our schedule is upended and, instead of enjoying June, July, and August, we square off with the lazy, hazy days of summer. 

Who will win? Our schedule or the lure of summer fun?

I vote you make time in your schedule for fun. Work and deadlines will always be there, my friends, but before you know it the Back-to-School sales will be crowding the store shelves. 

Ideas for Summer Fun for Writers

  • Pull out some favorite games. Declare a weekly family and/or friends game night. Think classics like Uno or Racko or Clue or something newer like Code Names or Blurt or Moods.
  • Gather s’mores supplies. Push pause on your word count and indulge in the quintessential taste of summer. It’s optional whether you eat dinner first or go straight for the graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows. 
  • Head to the beach. Walk along the shore or body surf or grab a board and ride the waves. It’s all about sun, sand, and salty water.
  • Go ahead—ignore clock. Stay up late or sleep in late. Extra points if you doze in a hammock. 
  • Take the road less traveled. Go for a hike. Pick a new trail. Not necessarily a more difficult trail, just one you haven’t done before. 
  • Watch an outdoor movie. Take along your favorite childhood candy—a 3 Musketeers candy bar for me—and soda and popcorn. Stay until the credits roll. 

What about you? What activity would you add to my list? 

TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” She’s authored 14 novels and novellas, both romance and women’s fiction. Beth is a Christy Award winner, an ACFW Carol Award winner, and a  RITA® finalist. Her novel Things I Never Told You, book one in her Thatcher Sisters Series by Tyndale House Publishers, won the 2109 AWSA Golden Scroll Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people. Connect with Beth at bethvogt.com.

Featured Image: Photo by Alvan Nee on Unsplash

8 comments:

  1. Beth,

    Thank you for this article and the creative ideas to have fun. It's easy to focus on the work all the time and not build more fun times into our lives--at least for me.

    Grateful,

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition) [Follow the Link for a FREE copy]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy for me to focus on work all the time too, Terry. This morning I took some time off and had fun with one of my my GRANDkiddos. The laughter was precious.

      Delete
  2. My husband and I enjoy playing with our grandchildren and the neighborhood children. Our yard is the place to be for fun. Playing with bubbles, sidewalk chalk, making bird feeders out of oranges, and so much more. Yes, we are kids at heart. :-) The laughter and joy give me great ideas for writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: Laughter is my favorite sound and the laughter of children is the best.

      Delete
  3. When I experienced anxiety and depression several years ago, my pastor asked to look at my DayRunner. After a quick perusal of my calendar, he said: "You know what's wrong with you, you've scheduled EVERYTHING ... but ... FUN!" So, now, I actually "ink in" things that bring me joy and calm my spirit. The result: anxiety and depression dissipated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wise pastor. And yes, too often we schedule fun right out of our lives. I'm looking forward to another game of backgammon (or two) with my husband tonight.

      Delete
  4. Beth,
    Thank you so much.. I love the suggestion, Go ahead—ignore clock. Stay up late or sleep in late. Extra points if you doze in a hammock. :-) Makes me smile! Thanks and blessings on your everyday happenings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, I love these ideas. Less phone, more fun! I’ve been to the beach three times in the past three days. Just enjoying the wonder of creation, the cool morning breeze, and two great novels. We’ve also been riding bikes quite a bit. It makes me feel like a kid again 😉

    ReplyDelete