Thursday, June 1, 2023

How to Get Back in the Writing Groove


by Lynn H. Blackburn @LynnHBlackburn

A writer friend recently posted this question on Instagram: “Any tips on how to jump back in when you haven’t written in a while?”

And y’all…I didn’t realize how many thoughts I had on the subject until I started to reply. 

Apparently, I have a lot of thoughts and some strong opinions. 

I also have over a decade’s worth of experience because I am the kind of writer who takes breaks between projects. (I wrote about this in April here at The Write Conversation). Which means I frequently find myself having to “jump back in” after not writing for a while.

But even if you aren’t like me, and you typically write with consistency and focus, there will be times in your life when you will have to take a break. 

Hopefully these times will usually be joyous—weddings, babies, graduations, travel, new opportunities. All of these are wonderful but can come with the unintended consequence of days (weeks, months) away from the manuscript. 

Sadly, sometimes the reasons are painful. Death, illness, accidents, broken relationships, loss of employment…I could go on, but you don’t need me to do that. You know. In fact, you’ve already filled in the blank with your own hard. I get it. 

Regardless of what kept you away from the words, sooner or later, they will call you back. When they do, I have a few suggestions to help you get started. 

Tips for Finding Your Writing Rhythm Again:

  • First: Accept that it will be painful. Don’t freak out when you sit down to write, and the words don’t flow. You have to work through it. It’s going to be extremely unpleasant. These are facts. Breathe in, breathe out, and keep writing.
  • Second: For the first few days (maybe even weeks) that you’re back in your writing world, do not attempt any kind of massive writing day. Do you typically write 1K? Shoot for 300-500 words and be happy with that! This is not the time to try for a 10K day. No. Nope. Don’t do it! You very well may be so far behind that you’re in danger of missing your deadline but trust me. Going for a huge word count right out of the gate is a recipe for disaster. Start slow. 
  • Third: Be as consistent as possible when you start writing again. If you’re shooting for 300 words a day, try to get them as many days in a row as possible and then ramp up from there.
  • Fourth: When you think you’re back on the wagon, but fall off again, do not panic. Don’t beat yourself up. Be honest about your life situation. Are you a mom with babies? A caregiver? On forced overtime at work? A mom of teenagers (because seriously, how did I not know how much time I would spend in the car chauffeuring these people around!)? Is your health an issue? Finances? Are you working on your marriage or restoring a relationship with a sibling? Acknowledge your current life status and recognize that you have some real uphill battles that make writing consistently a challenge. That does not make you a failure as a writer. 
  • Fifth: Begin again. And again. And again. As many times as it takes. It will hurt. You’ll be tempted to panic. But when you keep going and keep starting over as often as you need to, eventually you’ll realize that the hard writing days while you find your rhythm are just part of the process. And the next time you start over (because yes, there will be a next time) you’ll be less likely to panic. Note: I didn’t say you won’t panic. Just that it will be less likely. :) 

If you have more tips to share, I’d love to hear them. Especially since I turned revisions in to my editor on May 3rd and haven’t written a word of fiction since. So, it looks like I will get to practice what I preach when I jump back in this month!

Grace and peace,
Lynn

TWEETABLE

Lynn H. Blackburn loves writing romantic suspense because her childhood fantasy was to become a spy, but her grown-up reality is that she's a huge chicken and would have been caught on her first mission. She prefers to live vicariously through her characters and loves putting them into all kinds of terrifying situations while she's sitting at home safe and sound in her pajamas! 

Unknown Threat, the first book in her Defend and Protect series, was a 2021 Christy Award finalist and her previous titles have won the Carol Award, the Selah Award, and the Faith, Hope, and Love Reader’s Choice Award. Malicious Intent, the second book in the series, released March 2022.

She is a frequent conference speaker and has taught writers all over the country. Lynn lives in South Carolina with her true love and their three children. You can follow her real life happily ever after by signing up for her newsletter at LYNNHBLACKBURN.COMand @LynnHBlackburn on BOOKBUB, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM.

5 comments:

  1. All great suggestions, Lynn, especially "Begin again. And again. And again." It also helps to talk to a close writing friend as you find your writing rhythm again -- and to pray with them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, and again, and again. So true. In the last four years I've married off a daughter who moved to NYC 9 years ago, found my parents and in-laws increasingly in need of help, nursing homes, assisted living, my mother's death and my father-in-law's death within 6 weeks of one another, and my grown children "deconstructing" their faith. It's like Patricia Bradley told me one time -- every new book feels like I'm starting this business for the first time! Good advice, and thank you for the encouragement! (PS, look for the song "Run to the Father." It's going through my head like crazy after this post!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a writing break, I've used Jerry Seinfeld's "Don't Break the Chain" method by giving myself a requirement of writing 500 words every day. After a break, that amount can be tough for me, but it successfully gets me back in the story, and that's the goal. If I do more words, great! I mark off each day's accomplishment on my calendar with a big "X." My stubbornness won't let me skip a day. The satisfaction of making that mark works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lynn for the encouragement and tips. I so want to get this book finished but I am stuck in mud. But I’ll get there.
    Tim Suddeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I'm one of those who tried to "quit" but God said otherwise. Reigniting the flame isn't easy. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete