Thursday, April 6, 2023

Inspiration & Encouragement for the Writer Who Has Nothing to Write


by Lynn H. Blackburn @LynnHBlackburn

I gotta be honest with y’all. I didn’t have anything to write about this month. So I decided to write about not having anything to write about. 

Sometimes there’s this perception that writers should always be writing.

I am not one of those writers. I know this. And that is why I’m not freaked out about the fact that I have nothing to write about. 

There are some writers who write every day, and they have a fairly steady output of words. (Hint: this is not me).

Then there are writers who write an insane number of words in order to meet a deadline, or because they are feeling super inspired. But when that massive output is over, they can’t write a new story to save their life. (Hint: this is me).

The first time I realized that I couldn’t write immediately after a deadline, I panicked. Did this mean I wasn’t a real writer? Did this mean I had written my last book? 

Why was I compelled to knit, crochet, cook, plant flowers (which I was almost sure to kill), listen to music, watch TV, go to movies, go to concerts, clean out cabinets, or, sometimes, just being transparent here, lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling fan, but couldn’t come up with a coherent thought about my next story? 

I still don’t have all the answers. But after some study and some time, I know some of the reasons I am the way I am. And for the things I don’t understand, I’ve learned to accept that this is how I’m wired.

I’m the kind of writer who needs a lot of input in order to have any output. My preferred method of input is story, but right after a deadline, looking at words makes me cranky. So I get my stories with audiobooks. I listen to a lot of music, watch TV or movies, sports, and if possible, see some form of live theater or concert. 

I’m also the kind of writer who always needs to be learning something new. This is probably why as soon as I hit send on this blog post, I’ll be studying Latin. This is also why immediately after a deadline I find myself experimenting with random things like new crochet stitches or new recipes. My brain is begging me for new information, so I’ve learned to give it what it wants.

I’m the kind of writer who needs time—sometimes a lot of time—to think and process. I’ve been thinking about and processing the story I just turned in for a year. My brain isn’t ready to switch gears to the new story. 

But unlike in the past, where this deep-seated withdrawal scared me, now, I recognize it and lean into it. 

I’m not worried about it. 

But here’s what I am doing instead of writing:

  • I’m learning Latin, planting flowers, and listening to political thrillers on audiobook.
  • I’m cleaning out cabinets and closets and doing laundry and organizing my office.
  • I’m crocheting so much that I’ve even taken my latest little washcloth project to a baseball game. (My kids know I’m weird, so I’m leaning into that, too). 
  • I’m exercising and taking care of household things that were shoved to the side while my deadline was my all-encompassing focus.

But I’m not trying to write. Not yet.

As I write this blog post, my deadline was a month ago. By the time you read this, I’ll probably be working on the revisions for that book. Because I’ve given myself this past month to refuel in the way that works for me, I’ll be ready to handle that (famous last words—send chocolate).

And sometime in May, maybe June, but it feels like it will be May, I’ll open a new Scrivener file and start writing again. I know I will because I can feel that new story itch. It was indiscernible a month ago. But it’s there now, on the very edge of my thoughts. 

I’m sharing this with you—700 words about not having anything to write about—because I hope it will encourage you to pay attention to your natural creative rhythms. To extend yourself some grace. To remember that you are unique, and your creative process is uniquely yours. 

Embrace it. 

Grace and peace,
Lynn

TWEETABLE

Lynn H. Blackburn loves writing romantic suspense because her childhood fantasy was to become a spy, but her grown-up reality is that she's a huge chicken and would have been caught on her first mission. She prefers to live vicariously through her characters and loves putting them into all kinds of terrifying situations while she's sitting at home safe and sound in her pajamas! 

Unknown Threat, the first book in her Defend and Protect series, was a 2021 Christy Award finalist and her previous titles have won the Carol Award, the Selah Award, and the Faith, Hope, and Love Reader’s Choice Award. Malicious Intent, the second book in the series, released March 2022.

She is a frequent conference speaker and has taught writers all over the country. Lynn lives in South Carolina with her true love and their three children. You can follow her real life happily ever after by signing up for her newsletter at LYNNHBLACKBURN.COM and @LynnHBlackburn on BOOKBUB, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST, and INSTAGRAM.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Permission to be as God designed without critical analysis. Taking a deep breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lynn for keeping it real. It's a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thanks Lynn. I find this very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being so real, Lynn! I tried for years to be the kind of writer someone told me I should be or the kind of writer someone else is. I've finally learned I need down time also, time to replenish and time to relax. I'm still afraid I'll get demerits for not writing everyday, but I'm going to be stubborn and only write when I can and I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your encouragement and honesty. I had several months full of stress from all corners of life and couldn’t find words to write even when I had bits of time. I wanted to write, I just didn’t have the wherewithal for it. Sometimes the best thing we can do is understand what’s behind it and give ourselves grace. The cycle will come back around in time.

    ReplyDelete