Monday, May 1, 2023

5 Famous Quotes about Mothers that Should Inspire Writers


By Kristen Hogrefe Parnell @khogrefeparnell

May brings more than rain showers and spring flowers. It brings the reminder to celebrate and thank our mothers. Beyond a day of gratitude, Mother’s Day should challenge us to sit at the feet of the wonderful women who have taught us so much—and still have so much to teach us.

As writers, we have much to learn from our mothers.

Five Famous Quotes about Mothers that Speak to Writing Pursuits

#1: Dare all things.

Agatha Christie wrote, "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Dares all things. 

We writers can be easily intimidated or even embarrassed that our gift isn’t good enough compared to someone else’s.

Hogwash, say our mothers. Although I realize some of you reading this post did not experience the unrelenting love most mothers have for their children—and I am truly sorry for that—as a rule, our mothers would do and dare anything for us. As a mom to a now nine-month-old, I can relate to this mama bear grit that loves fiercely and defends loyally.

Let that drive and daring inspire your writing.

#2: Give something worthwhile.

I love this sweet quote by George Washington: "My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.”

What have our mothers given us? More than words can record, that is for sure.

The challenge for us writers is to give generously and purposefully as well. What will leave behind for those who read our words? Will we inspire someone else in their “moral, intellectual, and physical” endeavors?

#3: Believe the best.

This quote by Roald Dahl made me laugh, but it is oh so true. "It's a funny thing about mothers... Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful."

Did my baby just have the biggest blowout? Toss his spoon of sweet potatoes on the floor? Drool all over my Sunday outfit? Yep. Yep. Yep. Is he still the most darling baby ever? Absolutely.

Should not we writers learn to view that grimace-worthy first draft with similar faith? That even in the mess, we can find something wonderful? Let’s believe the best about the projects God has given us, even though we should also be willing to make them better.

#4: Be the truest friend.

Washington Irving wrote, "A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."

Not only should we writers be true to ourselves and our calling, but we must also be true to our fellow writers on this journey with us. No one understands the creative life’s highs and lows, triumphs and blows like another writer does. 

Celebrate your sister or brother who receives the award and recognition, even if you haven’t received yours yet. Also, be willing to encourage the fellow writer who has received yet another rejection letter or feels tempted to quit.

Be the truest friend.

#5: Dwell in hope.

"Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all." So said Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

A mother’s hope, faith, and prayers have reinvigorated us when we would otherwise quit. 

I don’t know how many poorly written stories or rough drafts my mother (and father) read for me when I started writing stories as a pre-teen. They could easily have rolled their eyes at my weak attempts. Instead, they gave me the hope to keep writing, pointed out the good that others might have overlooked, and challenged me to keep writing even when I didn’t know where the journey might lead me.

Even now, I can call my mom and share about my latest writing highs and lows, and I know she will never tell me to quit. She will encourage me to keep hoping and trusting God for the right opportunities. And for that, I am very thankful.

How will you thank your mother this Mother’s Day? What lesson has she taught you that has made you a better writer?


Kristen Hogrefe Parnell writes suspenseful fiction from a faith perspective for women and young adults. Her own suspense story involved waiting on God into her thirties to meet her husband, and she desires to keep embracing God’s plan for her life when it’s not what she expects. Kristen’s books have won the Selah Award and the Grace Award, among others, and her inspirational romantic suspense novel, Take My Hand, is now available. An educator at heart, she also teaches English online, enjoys being a podcast guest, and blogs about biblical encouragement for mamas. Kristen lives in the Tampa, Florida area with her husband and baby boy. Connect with her at KristenHogrefeParnell.com.

Featured Image: Photo by Sai De Silva on Unsplash

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Kristen! And the perfect analogy to creating our book "children."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! I'm so glad this analogy resonated with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to use this post on our group Writers' blog for next Saturday. I'll contact you via your website. These are good ideas, and they do inspire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reaching out, Jackie! I hope this post inspires your readers as well.

      Delete