Sunday, April 30, 2023

How to Choose Which Writing Idea to Pursue When You have Too Many Options


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

I’ve talked with a lot of writers through the years. One recurring question I get is about where they should focus their efforts. 

There are seasons in a writer’s life when the ideas are almost too numerous to count. One of these seasons often happens at the beginning of the writing journey. When we’re just starting out we’re often unsure about what our ultimate path will be. Take heed though, this dilemma is a season. And seasons tend to repeat themselves.

For myself, I had ideas for novels, book length nonfiction, devotions and articles—with a couple of poems thrown in the mix. I thought attending a conference would help. I reasoned that I could judge where to focus by which items I was asked to submit. Makes sense, right?

Yeah…not so much. 

It seemed like every professional I spoke with liked my pitch and asked me to submit my idea (except the poetry). I was back to square one. So what was I going to do?

I decided to work on all of my ideas that had been submitted. 

I prioritized the ones that I could finish quickest. This didn’t mean I took short cuts. I took the time to send in the very best manuscript I could. 

But I finished one thing, submitted it and moved on to the next. 

Here are the valuable lessons from weeding out writing ideas:

1. I figured out what I like to work on best. At that point in my career, I found I loved doing the “short stuff”—articles, devotions, and copy writing. Finishing something and having it accepted brought me more joy than closeting myself away with a book-length manuscript that would need months of work before I even found out if it were viable. Others will find different answers, but we just don't know until we dive in.

2. I discovered what I was good at. Turns out I have a knack for the short stuff. And I found out I’m really good at writing the short, pithy statements that copy writers have to do.

3. Submitting in multiple areas gave me a good read on what would work for longer projects. This process actually helped me come up with my first published book. 

So when I’m approached by a writer who’s struggling with whether to submit this article, write this devotion, try authoring a book. I encourage them to try it all.

My answer generally catches them by surprise.

This approach is like a farmer sowing seeds. I’ve never seen a farmer pull out a handful of seeds, search through them and choose only one or two to plant. 

What I’ve seen is farmers sowing a lot of seeds at a time, casting them into the prepared soil (often with machines). They do this knowing that not all seeds take root and grow. 

I’ve discovered that as writers, we would do well to follow this model.

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through the lens of her camera. No matter whether she’s talking to writers, entrepreneurs, or readers, her first advice is always “Find your voice, live your story.” As an author, blogger, and speaker she’s encouraged and challenged audiences across the country and around the world. Her numerous books reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts and apply them to their lives. Connect with her on her website, through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

5 comments:

  1. Edie,

    What a terrific article. Throughout my writing life, I've written many different types of things and like you I enjoy the short pieces which I have mixed into longer writing (books). I've published a few short stories but everything else is nonfiction (which is my specialty). I discovered it through consistent experimentation. It is wise advice and appreciated.

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition) [Follow the Link for a FREE copy]

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS is exactly what I needed to hear today. While polishing a novel proposal for Blue Ridge and working on regular email series, I was unable to shake from my thoughts a new non-fiction booklet for parents dealing with a particular topic. I added it to the writing mix while asking, "Really God? Right now this needs to be written?" Based on events and results, I know the answer is, "Yes."
    Thanks Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great advice, Edie! "Try it all." I love writing shorter pieces like blog articles and short stories, but I truly adore the complexity of novels. Last year I had three mystery novel projects I was juggling. I wrote a few chapters on each of them, and then one story captured my imagination. It's a blessing to have an abundance of ideas to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for those 3 lessons learned - I am encouraged to keep working on a variety of writing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the permission to explore and expand. I have found that I can't just "stay in my lane." Because I have more than one lane. Bless you for your blog and your ongoing great advice.

    ReplyDelete