Tuesday, April 18, 2023

A Tribute to My Friend & Writer, Lucinda Secrest McDowell


By Edie Melson @EdieMelson

Today is the third Tuesday of the month and the regular day for our columnist, Lucinda Secrest McDowell. Instead, I’m offering this tribute in her memory. 

As many of you know, our precious friend, Lucinda Secrest McDowell has moved to her eternal home in Heaven. Her earthly battle with cancer has ended and now, instead of her constant encouragement, we find ourselves mining our memories for her wisdom. 

Cindy was my friend, my prayer warrior, and so often—my inspiration on how to live out this calling to write. Words will never be enough to honor her, but we’re word people and words are where we turn—in good times and in difficult one.

I met Cindy at the Florida Christian Writers Conference (thank you, Eva Marie Everson). She was my assigned roommate and a true gift from God. During that conference, a crisis in my life appeared and Cindy was heaven-sent to pray for me and with me. Our friendship was cemented during that difficult time. 

That is the heart of Lucinda Secrest McDowell. If I had to describe her, it would be with equal parts prayer warrior and encourager. Her strength and ability for both flowed naturally from the deep relationship she had with Jesus. Her love of God was instantly visible no matter what she did.

Here are some of the things I’ve learned from her—presented through links to her previous posts. Her posts will stay here on The Write Conversation and my hope is that she will continue to encourage writers for many years to come. 

Blog Posts from Lucinda Secrest McDowell










Cindy was a wordsmith dedicated to honoring God through her craft. Let’s honor her by taking up the mantle of writer with renewed purpose and determination. 

Blessings,
Edie

TWEEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through her camera lens. She’s a writer who feels lost without that device & an unexpected speaker who loves to encourage an audience. She also embraces the ultimate contradiction of being an organized creative. She knows the necessity of Soul Care and leads retreats, conferences & workshops around the world on staying connected to God. Her numerous books, including the award-winning Soul Care series & reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts. Her blog, The Write Conversation is recognized as one of the top 101 industry resources. 

She and husband Kirk have been married 40+ years and raised three sons. They live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and can often be found hiking—with Edie clinging to the edge of a precipice for the perfect camera angle and Kirk patiently carrying her camera bag and tripod. Connect with her on her website, www.EdieMelson.com and through social media.

14 comments:

  1. I appreciated her uplifting, God-inspired social media posts. Her smile was contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest in peace, Cindy. Your teachings and example will be missed. You are an inspiration to christians writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I love knowing I/we played a role in your friendship. I actually remember us putting the two of you together! I remember saying, "I think they would do well together." :) Such a small moment in my life and such a major moment for the two of you. Knowing Cindy was everything. She understood how desperately I wanted to know the deep things of God because she wanted to know the deep things of God (bet she does now!!) and knowing that about you, too, Edie ... I have no doubt of your abiding friendship and mutual love! She was a treasure on earth and she will be a treasure in eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful tribute to a very special woman. Praying for her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy was my encourager as well. Her words were beautiful on paper and even better in person. She invited me to her writing group's first writers' retreat (New England Christian Writers' Retreat, now reNEW). She assured me I was welcome even though I was a nervous newbie. At that retreat and each subsequent one, she warmly welcomed (that smile!) and encouraged me like a dear friend. Her impact changed the direction of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blessing of knowing a writer is that even after they are gone, the words they have written continue to speak to us and encourage us. Cindy words will continue to encourage and bless many.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're keeping her posts here, Edie. There are several of them I was encouraged by and learned from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish that I could have called Ms. Lucinda "my friend", but beyond her TWC articles and social media posts, I never had the opportunity to meet her and speak with her in person. Instead, I referred to her as "LSM", and I look forward to that day in heaven's glory that I'll get to introduce myself and thank her for her encouragement and wisdom shared in my writing journey. Thank you for this touching tribute Ms. Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry that you've lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Edie, for honoring Cindy by posting these writing of hers. It’s a wonderful way to pay tribute to her?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, met Cindy at FCWC, and went on to be the editor of several of her books. She was a true joy to be around, as a friend and as a colleague. Thank you for this tribute--I think she would be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely said. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Edie for this lovely tribute to Lucinda and for including past posts. You can hear her vibrant soulful voice in each. I'm so glad you had a chance to know her and be lifted by her life. ReNew was my introduction to writing and she warmly welcomed me. I was fortunate to have her come and speak at my church, where she is still remembered for her authenticity, humor, and spirit. She inspired, encouraged and gave of herself. Thank you for honoring her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this beautiful tribute. I met Cindy at Blue Ridge and my appointment with her encouraged me to pursue the Christmas devotional I have finally finished.

    ReplyDelete