Tuesday, September 21, 2021

How to Write a Blessing


by Lucinda Secrest McDowell @LucindaSMcDowel

My word for the year 2021 is “blessing” and my focus has been to seek to become a blessing to all I encounter. And, as of the ninth month of this stellar year, of course I have failed at that goal. But I do continue to learn so much about the spiritual practice of blessing others, one that has been around since the beginning of time and eternity. God’s Word is full of blessing and I, for one, believe that this practice is needed today more than ever.

Part of becoming a blessing to others is to speak into their souls. Not just any old phrase or word or even encouragement. But words that seek to minister to where they are and that seek to help draw out in them all that God has called them to be and to do. 

After quite literally soaking in blessings all during 2020 (which sustained me greatly) I began this new year writing blessings. As I worked through this process, I saw a pattern emerge that you might find helpful if you want to grow in your power to bless. 
  • Consult: I would never attempt a blessing without first consulting God’s Word and seeking the Holy Spirit’s discernment through prayer.
  • Connect: I begin a blessing by first connecting to a person’s circumstance, emotions, or felt need. Acknowledging that opens a pathway to receptivity.
  • Communicate: As God guides, I communicate scriptural truth, something I sense to be their strength or bent, and occasionally a daring challenge. Sometimes body language also communicates through appropriate touch.
  • Confirm: Every blessing ultimately comes from God, so I always end with His promises, love, and hope. 
I prayed a blessing over all my Write Conversation friends here back in February – “May I Bless You Today?” but have also written you another one this week. May you receive this with great joy!

“The Lord your God is with you,
the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
in his love he will no longer rebuke you, 
but will rejoice over you with singing.”
Zephaniah 3.17 NIV

Blessing as God’s Delight

Perhaps you didn’t awaken today thinking 
“God delights in me.” 

May you know it to be true 
– that gladness reigns as God walks beside you 
into this new day, ever in your midst.

May the assurance of 
His deep love and complete care 
fortify you against all that would 
cause your heart to falter and to fear. 

May you be enveloped within and without 
– in a cloud of calm as He quietens you 
with a gentle “Hush.”

And in that silence, 
may you hear the most exquisite music ever
– the melodic notes of 
deliverance, daring, and delight. 

The Lord singing over you – His beloved.

TWEETABLE

Lucinda Secrest McDowell, M.T.S., is a storyteller and seasoned mentor who engages both heart and mind while “Helping You Choose a Life of Serenity & Strength.” A graduate of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Furman University, McDowell is the author of 15 books and contributing author to 30+ books. Her award-winning books include Soul Strong, Life-Giving Choices, Dwelling Places, and Ordinary Graces. Lucinda, a member of the Redbud Writers Guild and AWSA, received Mt. Hermon “Writer of the Year” award and guest blogs monthly for ‘The Write Conversation.’ 

Whether coaching writers and speakers, pouring into young mamas, or leading a restorative day of prayer, she is energized by investing in people of all ages. As a communications teacher, she has served on the faculty of Speak Up Conference, Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, Florida Christian Writers Conference, Asheville Christian Writers Conference and co-directs the annual spiritual retreat reNEW – retreat for New England Writing & Speaking. Known for her ability to convey deep truth in practical and winsome ways, McDowell shares words from “Sunnyside” cottage in New England and blogs weekly at WWW.LUCINDASECRESTMCDOWELL.COM

18 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post, Lucinda Secrest McDowell. What you write blesses me, even if I don't comment.
    Love & Prayers,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucinda, whenever I see your name or read your writings, I feel joy. You always convey sunshine into my life. Thank you for this uplifting and timely blog post. May God bless you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much penny, i will have my afternoon tea party soon and think of you with joy.

      Delete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful! Thank you, Lucinda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to start my day! Thank you for this beautiful encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this wonderful blessing this morning. You made my day! I appreciate you and your good words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i appreciate your reading my words, diana. blessings all over you today.

      Delete
  6. I have been blessed by reading this. Please pray for me as I heal from breast cancer and as I minister to my best friend and her family. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, of course we are praying for your complete healing, quiet spirit, and for God's empowering as you minister to others. be sure to receive gracefully as well because that blesses the givers... Hugs!

      Delete
  7. Thank you Lucinda for this beautiful visual of God's blessing. Quiet Spirit we pray for you and your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lisa, you are so kind - i can't wait to see you pretty soon...

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful blessing (as well as guidance in writing one.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful! I've had so many battles lately. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an uplifting article, Lucinda. I'm rereading again today because your words touched me deeply. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete