Monday, March 6, 2023

5 Things to Focus on When Defining True Writing Success


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

One thing I’ve noticed is that we writers are way too hard on ourselves. We’re constantly comparing ourselves to each other, looking for affirmation through someone else’s opinion about our work and even our calling.

We check to see how many views our articles get, how many followers our blogs have and how many stars the reviewer gave our latest book. These things can undermine and sometimes even totally destroy our perspective, not to mention our confidence. Because, let’s face it, there is always someone willing to point out what we did wrong or could have done better. 

If we’re not careful, we can get to the point where we treasure what others are saying about us more than what God is doing through us.

So how do we stay focused in this crazy writing world where everyone seems eager to pass judgment? I think the key to thriving is to keep focused on what and especially on WHO truly matters. 

These are somethings I focus on when life seems out of focus. Because when life goes out of focus, it’s almost always a priority issue. 

These are the things I look at to make sure my priorities are in line.

1. My prayer focus. Even though I know I need to always begin writing with a time of prayer, that seems to be the first thing I forget when I get stressed. Having a daily quiet/prayer time is part of my life routine, but that’s not enough. I must begin every writing time with prayer.

2. Time in God’s word. If my daily time with God begins to shrink or disappear, then my writing life suffers.

3. Remembering the why. Yes, I’ve always been a writer, but when I answered God’s call to write for Him, my foundation changed. When I find myself chasing numbers, I go back to number 1. I refocus on my calling and more importantly the one who called me. 

4. I refocus on relationships, instead of connections. There is a difference in these two. Relationships are built, connections are just numbers. Connections—when nurtured—often grow into relationships, but only when we concentrate on serving people instead of amassing numbers.

5. I rehearse what God has already done. No matter where you are on your writing journey, you have already seen God at work. Make note of the good things along the way—the whispers from God you’ve heard in your soul, the honest words of encouragement others have spoken or written to you, the successes you’ve had. We place far too much focus on the things we’ve done wrong, instead of the amazing things God is doing through us.

Bottom Line
I’ve found that when I treasure God’s word and His opinion, my heart stays safe and protected. I’m insulated from a worldly perspective determined to destroy anything God has called good.

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through her camera lens. She’s a writer who feels lost without that device & an unexpected speaker who loves to encourage an audience. She also embraces the ultimate contradiction of being an organized creative. She knows the necessity of Soul Care and leads retreats, conferences & workshops around the world on staying connected to God. Her numerous books, including the award-winning Soul Careseries & reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts. Her blog, The Write Conversation is recognized as one of the top 101 industry resources. 

She and husband Kirk have been married 40+ years and raised three sons. They live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and can often be found hiking—with Edie clinging to the edge of a precipice for the perfect camera angle and Kirk patiently carrying her camera bag and tripod. Connect with her on her website, www.EdieMelson.com and through social media.

6 comments:

  1. Amen! Godly advice! Thank you, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ideas have definitely stood me in great stead!

      Delete
  2. Another great list to print for reminders to stay on track and keep our focus on the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtfully put together.

    ReplyDelete