Saturday, January 14, 2023

Writers, Remember to have Fun!


by Beth Vogt @BethVogt

“People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” 
Dale Carnegie (1888-1955), American writer and lecturer

Last week, I was talking to a writer who I mentor, discussing her progress during 2022. I’m so proud of how she’s persevered through obstacles while plotting a wonderful novel idea. We reviewed what she’d do before we met again, and then she grinned and said, “I’ve had fun.”

I raised my hands and cheered. 

Success!

  • Do I tell writers I mentor they are going to work hard? Yes.
  • Do I want writers I mentor to learn new writing skills? Yes.
  • Do I want writers I mentor to achieve the specific goals we set each month? Yes.
  • But while they’re working hard and learning and achieving goals, I want writers I mentor to love, love, love writing. 

Maybe writing still is fun for you. Yay! But maybe you’re trying to remember when writing was fun. If you avoid writing because it’s drudgery, because it’s painful … then it’s time for a reset. 

How to Rediscover the Fun of Writing
  • Take a break. When was the last time you didn’t write? If you’re worn out with too many back-to-back deadlines or too many non-stop days writing, it’s time for a break. I protect my Sundays as a day of rest, including not opening my laptop for social media or for writing. Consider a weekly writing break or even a longer hiatus from writing. 
  • Rediscover other forms of creativity. You’re a writer, so yes, you’re creative. Nourish your creative heart by indulging in something as simple as coloring pages, or listening to music, or visiting an art museum. See a play or go to the symphony. Take a cooking class or a stained-glass class.
  • Do something that makes you laugh. Watch a funny movie or indulge in some old Dick van Dyke TV shows – my go-to for laughter. Spend time with your best friends—writers or not—and talk (and listen). Our stories flow from our heart.
  • Keep writing. Just because writing isn’t fun right now doesn’t mean it will never be fun again. Ignore the temptation to quit. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Kick the words “I quit” to the curb. Keep writing in a personal journal. Keep writing in a prayer journal. Keep writing in a gratitude journal. See the common theme here? Keep writing.
TWEETABLE

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” She’s authored 14 novels and novellas, both romance and women’s fiction. Beth is a Christy Award winner, an ACFW Carol Award winner, and a  RITA® finalist. Her novel Things I Never Told You, book one in her Thatcher Sisters Series by Tyndale House Publishers, won the 2109 AWSA Golden Scroll Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. She lives in Colorado with her husband Rob, who has adjusted to discussing the lives of imaginary people. Connect with Beth at bethvogt.com.

Featured Image: Photo by Kaleidico on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment