Thursday, January 12, 2023

Spilled grits, ladders, and a writer’s dreams for the New Year


by Julie Lavender @JLavenderWrites 

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work, as per my mom’s request. Just one item. If I could locate it, I’d be in and out quickly. Picking the wrong aisle, I encountered a ladder blocking the entire walkway. 

Chuckling to myself, I defied Grandma’s silly superstition and ducked under the ladder rather than retrace my steps to go the long way. 

On the next aisle over, unbeknownst to me, someone had spilled a bag of grits and tiny, unseen grains littered the floor. I promptly slid across the floor like an ice skater with no grace whatsoever, arms flailing. I might’ve even squealed a little just before I landed on my southern keister.

I was barely sixteen, but that worldly experience made me ponder the validity of Grandma’s superstition…at least that one.

I grew up with two grandmothers in mobile homes, just across the side yard from our old farmhouse. Both were women of God and had strong faiths, but my mother’s mom was also oddly superstitious. 

We didn’t dare wash clothes on New Year’s Day or we might suffer the consequences of washing someone out of our life that year. 

Dropping silverware meant someone was coming for dinner. 

An itching palm meant money coming our way, and an itching foot meant we’d walk on new ground. Being the poor farmer’s daughter that I was, neither of those seemed to work in my favor because we were always low on cash and couldn’t afford to travel to new territory. In fact, the diagnosis for my ten-year-old, itching foot one year was a ringworm. Surely that could be blamed on a black cat .. 

This same Bible-reading, hard-working, God-fearing woman who took superstitions seriously didn’t believe that God wanted women to wear pants. I never saw her in anything but a handmade dress, even when she went out to hoe the garden or pick peas. She also never watched anything on television except Little House on the Prairie, because she thought modern TV shows were the ruination of us all.

I couldn’t help but think of my grandmother this past New Year’s Day. I made sure not to wash clothes that day just in case, and I followed her directives at mealtime. I nibbled on a few greens, ate some black-eyed peas, and added ham to my plate. Coins in my pocket, good luck, and good health—hopefully my lucky lunch will provide all those things for me in 2023.

My grandmother reminded us each year that whatever we did on New Year’s Day, we would do the rest of the year—another superstition. 

For fun, I made sure on January 1 to fit in as many of the activities I’d like to do this year as possible. 

I spent time in prayer during my morning walk, exercising physical muscles and spiritual ones, too. 

I spent time with four generations of extended family over lunch. 

I baked homemade bread, using the sourdough starter recipe favored for years. I hope to enjoy cooking and baking often for my little small family still at home, and I’m hoping my adult children will visit me frequently and expect cookies and treats when they get here! 

I made sure to read a couple of chapters in a book for pleasure, a nonfiction chapter about writing, and my Scripture reading for the day, but not necessarily in that order. 

I worked on a newspaper column in hopes that writing assignments and projects would be plentiful during the year. 

My husband and I drove to the next county over to enjoy an afternoon walk on a nature preserve. We talked about dreams and hopes for the upcoming year on the drive. 

I talked to all four of my adult children and the favorite grandson. 

Just in case there’s something to Grandma’s silly superstitions … 

How about you? What did you do on January 1 this year that you hope you’ll do all year long? In my prayer time that day, I prayed for writers, in general and with specifics. I plan to pray for many of you this year, that your writing dreams and goals will find much success! 

Oh, and by the way … I’m not superstitious at all, in case you’re wondering, because my faith lies with the One true God and Creator of the universe. 

Except for that ladder thing … the jury’s still out on that one … 

TWEETABLE

Julie Lavender loves the start of a new year with fresh goals for spiritual growth, family time, and writing opportunities. Rather than make a list of resolutions for the entire year, she prefers to revisit her goals on the first day of each month, recharging, updating, and pressing on into a brand new month. Julie is the author of Children’s Bible Stories for Bedtimeand 365 Ways to Love Your Child: Turning Little Moments into Lasting Memories.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you, Julie, for starting ny day with a laugh. I am thankful on New Years day I had our overseas son with us and our granddaughter while she was out of school. Love your sharing of the superstitions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad you got to spend time with family on January 1. That's THE BEST gift that I hope you'll enjoy all year long!

      Delete
  2. Loved this piece! My mom was somewhat superstitious—she was horrified that after I left home I never ate black-eyed peas and ham on New Years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved this piece! My mom was somewhat superstitious—she was horrified that after I left home I never ate black-eyed peas and ham on New Years!

      Reply

      Delete
    2. Up until a couple of years ago, my 80+ year-old mom would cook all those dishes on January 1 - some sort of mustard or turnips that I can barely even stand to smell, the fresh blackeyed pears, the hog jowls or ham or whatever it was .... and she wanted us to come and "enjoy" all of it with her. I could barely stand to smell it, let alone eat it!!! Hahaha - good memories, however!

      Delete
  3. Why did I know this was your post as soon as I saw the title in my inbox, dear friend? Funny that we also talked about black-eyed peas the other day! The best thing I did on New Year's this year was attend worship with my husband. Post-COVID and with the uncertainty of his dementia, I don't take that for granted anymore. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well, my dear friend!!! Yes, I think there are many, many things we no longer take for granted post-covid! I'm so very glad that you and Tom could worship together on January 1, and I hope Grandma's superstition holds true for you for that one all year long! May you two continue to worship and serve the Lord together, whatever that looks like!!!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this fun post, Julie! I have mixed emotions now because I had my son's family for dinner on New Year's and that was great. But I accidentally used the wrong kind of meat in my spaghetti sauce (long story) and hope not to do that again! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well, let's count the family meal and time together as a win, and we'll count the wrong-meat as a lesson learned, and possibly fodder for some sort of writing project, and then that way, we still might count it as a "hope to do again" kind of situation! Praying for whatever writing project God has in mind for you this year and for lots of family time together for you all throughout all of 2023!!

      Delete
  5. LOL, well, let's count the family meal and time together as a win, and we'll count the wrong-meat as a lesson learned, and possibly fodder for some sort of writing project, and then that way, we still might count it as a "hope to do again" kind of situation! Praying for whatever writing project God has in mind for you this year and for lots of family time together for you all throughout all of 2023!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. My mom also had the one about the itchy hand, but only the left one meant money. An itchy right hand met you would meet someone new. And if you scratched you wouldn't get either. (I'll let you guess which one I NEVER scratch and which one I ALWAYS scratch. LOL) Dropping a dish towel on the floor meant a slob was coming to the house and she put a coin outside before midnight New Year's Eve and brought it back in at 12:01 a.m. to ensure she would never be broke in the new year. (I never figured that one out. Someone could steal your coin if you put it outside!) I don't do any of these things—my "luck" is from God as you said, but I do think of these things often now that she's gone from my life. And my hubby gets a kick out of the little superstitions when I tell them to him and we remember her with love. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I've NEVER heard of some of these!! These are very intriguing!! I actually enjoy hearing about them and pondering how they ever got started!!! Thanks for reading, and thanks so much for sharing!!

      Delete
  7. Love this! Hadn’t heard some of those superstitions. This year I did NOT bake our traditional German Chocolate cake because I did a real fancy one for hubby’s Christmas birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German Chocolate cake sounds wonderful, but a fancy one for a birthday does, too!! Thanks for reading and joining in on the conversation!

      Delete
  8. My grandma believed you should sew a pillowcase each New Year's day. I'm not sure where she got that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to revisit these superstitions I heard from my ancestors. I recall one you don't mention. My mother-in-law insisted that a man be the first person to enter her house on New Year's. I never knew why. One year, her granddaughter, my niece, had an overnight babysitting job on New Year's Eve. When her client drove her home the next morning, My m-i-l would't let her in the door. The parent (dad) who drove her was summoned from his car to enter the door before she could. Have you heard of that one?

    Candyce Carden

    ReplyDelete