Thursday, December 29, 2022

End of Year Thoughts on Writing and Moving Forward


by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

The writer’s path is a journey of a lifetime—one fraught with discovery and discouragement. We can avoid some of its pitfalls if we define that path early on. Today, I want to share some insights into my writing journey and the markers I look for to help me stay at least in the vicinity of the path.

This time of year, between Christmas and New Year's, my thoughts turn backward. I use this time to evaluate the past year and prepare for the next one. I've given up New Year's Resolutions completely and find the freedom from those expectations (and failures) a major relief. 

Instead, I spend some time looking back at our spiritual markers for the past year. I evaluate them over all aspects of my life—including my writing life. 

This is particularly helpful since staying on the writer's path is difficult. We can loose perspective if we compare ourselves to others because each of our paths are so unique and varied. In the past I've had trouble evaluating my progress because I was comparing my journey to someone else's. I’ve come up with some questions to help me process where I’ve been and where I’m headed. 

Questions to Get Me Started
  • What were some of my writing successes this past year? (Not necessarily the most lucrative, but the most rewarding) 
  • What were some of my writing setbacks this past year? 
  • What writing advice stands out in my mind because it seemed to have been aimed directly at me? 
  • What brought me the most joy? (Writing related) 
  • What were the most frustrating writing experiences this year?
As I map out these spiritual markers, the path God has had me on becomes quite clear. And, by knowing where I've been, it becomes clearer where to go next. 

The other thing I do this time of year is to choose my ONE WORD and SCRIPTURE for the next year. I've been choosing a Bible verse for the upcoming year since 1996, but I only began choosing a single word to go with it since 2012. My close friend and author, Beth Vogt started me on it and the practice has proved invaluable. She shared about that this month in the post, Writers, One Word Makes All the Difference.

I use this one word as a filter, a path marker and a reminder of where God is focusing my attention during the year. And every year it has helped clarify my journey when things get murky and confusing.

ONE WORD

This year, the ONE WORD God has whispered to me is INTENTIONAL.

I have to be honest, I struggled to land on a single word. I don't have anything against using a phrase, but for me, the single word is a more powerful way to evaluate my daily walk with the Lord. 

The verse I feel like God has led me to go along with this is:

Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk—not as unwise people but as wise—making the most of the time, because the days are evil. So don’t be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s willis. (Ephesians 5:15-17 HCSB)

I'd love for you to share your ONE WORD and/or Bible verse for the year, and hear some of your answers to these questions. 

Don’t forget to join the conversation!

Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLE

Edie Melson is a woman of faith with ink-stained fingers observing life through her camera lens. She’s a writer who feels lost without that device & an unexpected speaker who loves to encourage an audience. She also embraces the ultimate contradiction of being an organized creative. She knows the necessity of Soul Care and leads retreats, conferences & workshops around the world on staying connected to God. Her numerous books, including the award-winning Soul Careseries & reflect her passion to help others develop the strength of their God-given gifts. Her blog, The Write Conversation is recognized as one of the top 101 industry resources. 

She and husband Kirk have been married 40+ years and raised three sons. They live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and can often be found hiking—with Edie clinging to the edge of a precipice for the perfect camera angle and Kirk patiently carrying her camera bag and tripod. Connect with her on her website, www.EdieMelson.com and through social media.

Featured Image: Photo by Danil Aksenov on Unsplash

7 comments:

  1. Love this post, Edie. I love your focus in evaluating 2022. I've copied your questions and will use them to do the same. I've landed on a similar word for the year: purposeful. That I will align myself with the purposes of God, seek out His purposes in every opportunity He gives me, and be aware of the purpose behind what I teach, write, and preach. Not to mention being aware of God's agenda for the people I interact with on an informal basis. Thanks for the wisdom you always share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I landed on KIND - be kind. Several scriptures backed it up and so I'm setting out on a year of being kind - no matter what. Especially in thought. It's not hard to be kind to people with whom I interact. But what about that person on TV whose philosophy I disagree with? They'll never know what I think. But God will. And unkindness there can color my attitude away from the TV or radio or newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful end of year post, Edie. You've given me lots to think about, and you've added to my end-of-year routine :) See my comments below.

    I write a list of annual goals and tape them to the back of my office door each year. I think just writing them keeps me focused and makes them more attainable. At the end of the year, I review the list, celebrate the accomplishments and reflect on the misses. This year I'll add your process of questions to the mix.

    I've never chosen a word for the year, but you've convinced me it's a good idea. I've chosen FAITHFULNESS. And the scripture: "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man." Proverbs 3:3-4

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Edie! Thanks so much for sharing this reflective perspective for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edie,I always love reading your year-end thoughts and learning what your new word for the year is. I've not landed on a word yet, so I'll answer two of your questions. I seemed to have a lot of writing setbacks during 2022 due to some health issues. It was discouraging, but I just wrote when I could. At the "last minute" I decided to attend BRMCWC this past May. Even then, I could only come for half the week due to a prior commitment. But, I sure am glad I went because one of the year's greatest joys came from that conference. I pitched a picture book which led to a contract. God is good. I keep reminding myself not to get discouraged with the setbacks, keep writing, and trust God's timing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Edie! God and I have been working through some stuff the last couple of years. This year, we're working on "Consistency & Community," and the Bible verse to go along with that is Col. 3:17. :) Happy New Year, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Edie for explaining the concept and process of picking One Word. A friend of mine has done this for several years and it was being laid on my heart to do this. My word for the the year is BALANCE. The scripture I've been led to is: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete