Saturday, December 10, 2022

Writers, One Word Makes All the Difference


by Beth K. Vogt @BethVogt

There are 21 days left in 2022. Three weeks that are going to go by in a blur of holidaze and fa-la-la-la-la.

While we’re juggling everything—visits with family and friends, celebrating the birthday of Jesus, and all the extra stuff that happens this time of year—some of us have writing commitments too, which add another layer of fun (ahem!) to the last few weeks of the year. 

Is anyone also pondering personal or professional resolutions for 2023? 

Stop.

I know a lot of the “everything” isn’t optional, especially if you’re on a writing deadline during the holidays. What I’m suggesting you stop doing is the whole resolution thing. New Year’s resolutions sound good in January. Making the “I will” and “I won’t” list seems so positive—until you lose the list in February and can’t remember half of the things you wrote down. 

But what’s the alternative to starting the new year off right with a list of goals?

Consider choosing One Word for 2023. This will be my 18th year choosing One Word to focus on for 365 days—and never once have I lost track of what word I chose as the days, weeks, and months progressed. You can misplace a list of resolutions, but one word? Almost impossible to misplace. Even more important, God uses the process to change me in significant ways that influence all areas of my life. 

Some of my One Words have been: 
  • Gratitude
  • Hope
  • Kindness
  • Trust
  • Confidence
  • Inheritance

Last year, my One Word was “pray” – the verb, not the noun “prayer,” because praying is active. This quote by Mother Teresa inspired me: “God speaks in the silence of the heart. Listening is the beginning of prayer.” 

There have been two occasions when I’ve repeated One Words. I repeated the One Word “forgiveness” and the One Word “listen” because as I mulled over my One Word for the coming year, God didn’t move me past the One Word I had. Interestingly, I’m repeating “pray” for 2023 for the same reason.

Interested in trying One Word in the new year? Here are four tips:
  1. Pray about your One Word. God usually provides me with a scripture verse that anchors me to my One Word.
  2. Be attentive for a visual. I’ve used a photo or some sort of graphic to remind me of my One Word. I’ve also worn a necklace or bracelet engraved with my One Word. 
  3. Dive into your One Word. Consider reading books related to your One Word. This year I read 100 Prayers Every Christian Should Know. I also posted quotes about prayer on my Instagram feed once a week. The year I focused on the One Word gratitude, I incorporated a gratitude journal. 
  4. Read My One Word by authors Mike Ashcraft and Rachel Olsen. This is a helpful resource to learn how to choose One Word. I also recommend checking out their website. It’s motivating to see One Words other people have chosen.

I’d love to know about your experience if you already choose to focus on One Word each year or why you prefer to do resolutions.

TWEETABLE 

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” Having authored nine contemporary romance novels and novellas, The Best We’ve Been, the final book in Beth’s Thatcher Sisters Series with Tyndale House Publishers, releasers May 2020. Other books in the women’s fiction series include Things I Never Told You, which won the 2019 AWSA Award for Contemporary Novel of the Year, and Moments We Forget. Beth is a 2016 Christy Award winner, a 2016 ACFW Carol Award winner, and a 2015 RITA® finalist. An established magazine writer and former editor of the leadership magazine for MOPS International, Beth blogs for Learn How to Write a Novel and The Write Conversation and also enjoys speaking to writers group and mentoring other writers. Visit Beth at bethvogt.com.

Featured Image: Photo by mk. s on Unsplash

10 comments:

  1. I love this inspiration. Focusing on one word and a Scripture foundation helps us concentrate on God's plan instead of a stress filled list. I have chosen a word for several years and this does make a difference. Thanks, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barbara, How fun that you focus on One Word too.

      Delete
  2. Beth,

    Thank you for this article about selecting one word. I confess I've read about this practice for years but never done it. I'm considering it for the first time.

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I'd love to know if you decide to focus on One Word in 2023.

      Delete
  3. This is the only new year resolution I’ve ever kept. At the end of 2021 my thoughts were scattered and life was, well, life. My word for 2022 has been “strength”. God’s strength, not my own. He has provided an amazing year of growth, wisdom, and encouragement as I’ve focused on the one word. It has been an inspiration to others as I’ve shared the transformational affects. One friend gifted me a bracelet inscribed with my one word. For 2023, God has led me to my next one word, “contentment”. Excited for what He has planned for 2023.

    “My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”
    ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭73‬:‭26‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, Thanks so much for sharing how choosing the One Word "strength" transformed your life. I love your verse, too. Contentment was one of my One Words in years past.

      Delete
  4. Resolutions never last with me. I've had several of the same words, as I imagine many Christians do. God grows us through them. But funnily enough, one word in your list stood out to me. Kind. I always try to be kind in my actions. But am I always kind in my thoughts? I'm praying about it, but I believe that is probably my word for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, Your question "... am I always kind in my thoughts?" was quite thought provoking. Praying for you as you consider "kind" for your One Word for 2023.

      Delete
  5. I love to do this. I started doing it for the past few years. This year was grateful. Every time I helped someone who had a life-threatening illness or financial difficulties, my word was before me. It enabled me to live out my word and truly be grateful for what the Lord has given me and where I am in my life today... Thank you for your post. Perfect time to begin to think about what that new word will be. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grateful -- what a wonderful One Word for 2022. My first-ever One Word was gratitude and it changed my glass-half-empty perspective forever.

    ReplyDelete