Monday, November 7, 2022

3 Reasons to Retire the Worried Writer Inside You


by Kristen Hogrefe Parnell @KHogrefeParnell

Worry. It’s one of Scripture’s “do nots” that we writers sometimes shrug off. I mean, compared to other sins, it seems pretty tame.

But today, I want to talk about why we need to retire the worried writer. And by worried writer, I mean you and me. 

Yes, we writers worry about everything. For example:
  • Is my idea even good?
  • Will everyone hate my story?
  • What if I get a bad review?
  • I’ll probably just get another rejection.
  • What if my words offend someone?
  • What if no one buys my book?
  • If I don’t get enough sales, I’ll never get another contract.

Since I think we all struggle with worry at some point, I want to share my personal digging into Scripture and retire the worried writer once and for all… or at least arm ourselves with the ammunition we need to fight this foe.

#1: Retire Worry Because God Said So.

That’s right. In Matthew 6:25-34, Jesus states and restates the command not to worry. The conclusion is simply this: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble” (Matthew 6:34 NKJV).

Do you have a word count goal to reach today? A scene to research? A plot hole to solve? Those are today’s problems. Worrying about a rejection letter or bad review down the road will only rob you of your productive time. 

God said not to worry. Period. That should be reason enough to retire this joy-stealing pest, but keep reading for two more to add to your worry-retirement preparations.

#2: Retire Worry Because It Wastes Our Energy.

After a conversation with a worried person, how do you feel? Energized is probably not the word that comes to mind. Drained, discouraged, or doubtful is.

I had to confront myself with this truth the other day. As a new mom running on less sleep and facing the end of maternity leave, I found myself worrying more and more. How am I going to go back to teaching, be a good mom and wife, and launch my book in December? In other words: How am I going to do all the things?

Then, I remembered this quote from Corrie ten Boom. “'Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.”

Ouch. Instead of worrying, I can do the next thing. Or as the Apostle Paul says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).

Worry makes us swallow the lie that we have to do everything ourselves and robs us of the amazing joy found when we depend on God’s strength. 

#3: Retire Worry Because It Detracts from Our Purpose.

Do you feel called to write? Has God given you a story that only you can tell? 

Okay then. Stop worrying and start writing. Colossians 3:23 says, “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” If we become so worried about what others will think or say, we lose track of our God-given assignment.

The calling of a writer is not an easy one. I jokingly tell people that if they can be anything else, they should be. Writing is lonely, long work. The pay usually isn’t good or guaranteed. And rejection is part of the job description.

But if you’re reading this, more than likely you can’t not write. It’s something you feel called to do, or you have something you need to say.

Well then, let’s retire our worry and get to work. Otherwise, we’re missing out on the reason we’re writing in the first place.

How do you deflect worry when it clouds your vision? 

TWEETABLE

Kristen Hogrefe Parnell writes suspenseful fiction from a faith perspective for women and young adults. Her own suspense story involved waiting on God into her thirties to meet her husband, and she desires to keep embracing God’s plan for her life when it’s not what she expects. She also teaches English online and is an inspirational speaker for schools, churches, and podcasts. Her young adult dystopian novels, The Revisionary and The Reactionary, both won the Selah for speculative fiction, and her first romantic suspense novel with Mountain Brook Ink releases this December. Kristen lives in the Tampa, Florida area with her husband and their baby boy. Connect with her at KristenHogrefeParnell.com.

Featured Image: Photo by Keenan Beasley on Unsplash

5 comments:

  1. I needed this today, Kristen. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Katherine!

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome, Katherine! I'm glad the post was an encouragement. (Not sure why my previous comment came through anonymously)

      Delete
  2. “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.” A good word. Like Pat Palau says, I don't worry 'cuz the Bible says not to. Instead I have concerns, apprehensions, and unsettledness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Peggy Sue. A good word from the Bible indeed!

      Delete