Monday, December 27, 2021

An Author's Inspiration from the Resolutions of a Curmudgeon


by Ane Mulligan @AneMulligan

It's that time of year again … when we all think about making New Year resolutions. I'm lousy at deciding what to resolve and worse at keeping any I might misguidedly make. 

So, this year, I'm resolutely sticking my tongue in my cheek and offering a few … from the perspective of a curmudgeon. After all, every family has that relative somewhere in their tree. You know him … Uncle Grumpy.

Uncle Grumpy's Resolutions

1. I resolve to take charge of my reactions. I do not have to get annoyed or frustrated if … hey, who left a dirty knife on the dish drain? Can't anyone wash anything and put it away?

2. I resolve not to watch the news more than 2 hours a day. We need happiness and good thoughts to guide our … will you look at those politicians. It doesn't matter which side they're on. They're all crooks. Lock the doors.

3. I resolve to stop insisting on my way. Others have valid ways of … who left the duct tape on top of the toolbox? It belongs in the third drawer down. Why do I have to …

Okay, we can chuckle at Uncle Grumpy, but I offer another take on it. Curmudgeons have some value. What, you may ask? Well, their value lies in how we may react to their curmudgeonly ways. 

If said curmudgeon is grumpy from the moment of rising, we need to understand we all must take responsibility for our own reactions. We don't have to react in defense or strike back in anger. Besides, scripture tells us a soft word turns away wrath. 

Another value curmudgeons have is providing lots of fodder for our books. It's a great characteristic to give an antagonist or a townsperson. So, study the curmudgeon but don't become one.

As for me and my resolutions, I hate to disappoint myself. I've learned if I don't make any, I don't break them, thus I'm not disheartened. So far, it's worked! 

But this year, I have decided to make one: In 2022, I resolve to guard how I react to my curmudgeon. 

Did I just say that?

TWEETABLE

Ane Mulligan has been a voracious reader ever since her mom instilled within her a love of reading at age three, escaping into worlds otherwise unknown. But when Ane saw Mary Martin in PETER PAN, she was struck with a fever from which she never recovered—stage fever. She submerged herself in drama through high school and college. Years later, her two loves collided, and a bestselling, award-winning novelist emerged. She resides in Sugar Hill, GA, with her artist husband and a rascally Rottweiler. Find Ane on her websiteAmazon Author pageFacebookTwitterInstagramPinterest and The Write Conversation.

13 comments:

  1. A delightful read first thing in the morning! Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! Thank you, Ane! You have a delightful way of giving us a "spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down." Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post - so well said! Thanks for writing and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! Oh yes, we all have one, at least one. God is smoothing off my rough edges daily with my curmudgeon. And, teaching me to smile through it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post. thanks, Ane. My inner curmudgeon is smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can soooo relate. And, an aging one, with health issues, is even more challenging. But, you are correct: Our response is a choice. So, count to 10 and b-r-e-a-t-h-e!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I get to 10, my eyes are crossed. lol But I'm working on it. Really.

      Delete
  7. You have given me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. The more we think on it, the more aware we are; whether for your own response or for your writing.

      Delete