Thursday, May 28, 2020

7 Traits of a Successful Writing Critique Group


by Henry McLaughlin @RiverBendSagas

I’m sure we’ve all participated in or heard stories about horrible experiences with critique groups. I’ve had a few myself. Unfortunately, I may also have contributed to some of them. To any writers I did this to, I apologize.

I’ve been writing seriously for over ten years. During this time, I’ve participated in many critique groups, both on line and in person. I’m honored and humbled to serve as a writing coach or mentor over numerous groups over the years. 

As I’ve traveled this writing journey I’ve noticed that successful groups have certain character traits that distinguish them from the unsuccessful. 

In no particular order the 7 traits are:

Honesty
Members are gently honest in sharing their feedback and comments with each other. No holding back to spare someone’s feelings, yet learning to give feedback sensitively so the person can receive it without self-condemnation. And no personal attacks or attempts to dominate or make everyone write the same. Like workout partners, we help each other develop the thick skin necessary to make it in the writing world. As Proverbs says, we are iron sharpening iron.

Encouragement
The group is a place where writers give and receive encouragement and support on the writing journey. The group provides a safe and confidential environment, a place where we share triumphs and rejections, struggles and breakthroughs.

Relationships
We build relationships of trust and caring. We move from being group members to writing partners to friends.

Learning
We learn the craft through practice and open and honest criticism. We share new insights and knowledge.

Challenging
We call for each other to grow as writers. We won’t let talented writers settle for less. We won’t let struggling writers give up.

Consistency
We show up on time, fully prepared to participate. We adhere to the established rules of the group and submit to the leadership. We learn the value of being writers who have discipline, who meet deadlines, and who put our butts in our chairs to write.

Safety and Trust
Many authors write personal stories. Stories of pain, grief, abuse, addiction. Deeply. 

At one group recently, an author shared how painful it was to hear someone else read her story. Not because the writing was bad but because the story was so real and alive in her still. She didn’t know if she could continue to write, never mind share it.

We encouraged her that the group was a safe place, a place we can share hurts and pains in life as well as in our writing. I believe, for this person, writing the story is part of her healing. Sharing it in the safety of a writers group will help that healing process. Even if her story is never published, it needs to be written.

What traits have you found that make for a good critique group?

TWEETABLE
7 Traits of a Successful Writing Critique Group - Henry McLaughlin, @RiverBendSagas on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Henry’s debut novel, Journey to Riverbend, won the 2009 Operation First Novel contest.

Henry edits novels, leads critique groups, and teaches at conferences and workshops. He enjoys mentoring and coaching individual writers. 

Connect with Henry on his blogTwitter and Facebook.

15 comments:

  1. Henry, I love this. Critique groups are my passion. I've been with my critique partners for 15 years, and I trust them implicitly. I don't always take 100% of what they suggest, but 99% of it unquestioning. The other one percent? Well the old adage: if 1 says it, I consider it. If 2 say it I sit up and look. If all 3 say it, I don't question but change it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. I'm glad we share the same passions. I like your criteria for weighing criticism. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. This is a nice checklist of things to look for and encourage in a critique group.
    Thank you, Henry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ingmar. I'm glad to took the time comment. Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Well said Mr. Henry. I want that group! God's blessings sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, J.D. Keep reaching out and praying for God's discernment and he'll lead you to the best group for you. Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your blog this morning. I can so identify with what you have put into words. I am a member of Word Weavers International, Inc., Iowa Chapter. The members in the group are helpful. I treasure so much their critiques, both positive and negative. When I get back to my computer and incorporate their suggestions, my story reads a great deal better. Really appreciate all their help!

    Keep up your writings. They are so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I agree that Word Weavers is a great organization with a solid critiquing method. I recently joined one of the on-line groups and I'm getting so much out of it.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy writers groups. Word Weavers Charleston and ACFW South Carolina Lowcountry are two very special groups. The fellowship, knowledge and encouragement of each person is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa. I'm glad you've found good critique groups.

      Delete
  6. So love my critique partners and can’t imagine doing the writing journey without them. I think I would add “celebrate each other’s successes” to your list. A critique group is no place for jealousy over someone else’s milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Kelly. You're right. The group is where we celebrate each other's successes and share each other's disappointments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Henry, we are so thrilled that you are a part of Word Weavers International! This is an excellent article. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, Eve Marie. And let me add I'm very glad I reconnected with Word Weavers and I'm really enjoying the online group. It feels good to be part of such a valuable writing community.

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Eva Marie. I'm excited to be part of Word Weavers.

    ReplyDelete