Saturday, August 24, 2019

Finding a Unique Way to Reach Your Readers


by Cathy Fyock @CathyFyock

“Ping! Ping! Ping!”

While on vacation in Mexico, I was enjoying some much-needed time on the beach with my eyes closed, just soaking up the warmth of the sun and the smell of the ocean, and I heard a familiar sound. 

“Ping! Ping! Ping!”

I knew immediately what that sound meant and what I would do! It was the metallic sound of the Popsicle man wheeling his cart down the beach and clicking his ring finger against the handle of his cart. I got my pesos and ran to get my favorite—a coconut Popsicle (I’ve never found these in the states).

As I was savoring my treat, I was thinking about this busy vendor. He, unlike some of his competitors, was always busy selling to a host of beachgoers. I got to thinking, why is he always busy and some of his competitors weren’t?

First, I have never been disappointed with my purchase from this vendor. It is always icy cold and tastes like the Caribbean. Second, he uses an interesting branding tool as he sells. He doesn’t bark about his wares. He doesn’t do any flashy advertising. He doesn’t even say a word to those he passes on the beach. He just does that simple, “Ping! Ping! Ping!”that lets me know he’s in my area. And he’s the only one who does it.

To be great at selling what we have to offer, we have to have a really good product. We have to deliver consistently on the customer experience by always living up to their expectation. And, perhaps just as important, we need to offer a unique call to action that our clients will hear through all the noise in the marketplace.

What are you doing that is your unique call to action? How can your clients hear your call even through the noise?

“Ping! Ping! Ping!”

TWEETABLE

Cathy Fyock is The Business Book Strategist, and works with professionals and thought leaders who want to write as a business development strategy. She is the author of nine books, including her most recent with coauthor Lois Creamer, The Speaker Author: Sell More Books and Book More Speeches. Since starting her business in 2014 she's helped more than 150 professionals become published authors. You can reach her at Cathy@CathyFyock.com.

4 comments:

  1. Great question Ms. Cathy; "What's my ping?" When I worked in Chicago, I think my Suthin' accent and homespun charm (so I was told) took people by surprise (i.e. made me memorable). As a writer, perhaps it's my connection to my intended audience, rural folks who know what it is to work hard in the sun all day caring for God's creatures and land. I'll have to think about that. Thanks for raising a great question ma'am. What makes each of us unique indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've got me thinking, Ms. Fyock! Thank you for this great post! I'll be praying for the Lord to show me my "ping"! :) .

    Dr. MaryAnn Diorio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sort of like the ice cream man. Though obnoxious to most adults, that silly music streaming from the truck gets those kids running. On a positive note, your post put me right there on that beach with mouth watering for a coconut Popsicle. Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete