Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Lord’s Prayer Rewritten for Writers


by Cindy Sproles @CindyDevoted

“This, then, is how you should pray…” Matthew 6:9-13 (NIV)

I rewrote the Lord’s Prayer and wondered if I’d done something sacrilegious. After all, it was Jesus’ prayer before it was mine, but I needed solstice. Sometimes we simply need to seek peace. Our minds and bodies grow weary.

It’s one year from my first brain surgery. One year ago, when I couldn’t walk a straight line or hear over the internal sounds of my heartbeat, blood pumping, and footsteps. My world was so noisy and I longed for peace and quiet.

Drilling into my head wasn’t the answer I sought. It’s not like God can just snap His fingers and fix things, but that wasn’t His plan. He needed me to walk a different path. He wanted to groom me for something that, well. . . is truly yet to be seen.

My prayer became pleas for protection, healing, and peace. I wanted quiet. And if God needed me to hear that still small voice, it was impossible through all the noise. Concentration eluded me. The words I felt pushed to write . . . missing. Still I forged ahead even when I knew the words I penned were . . . less than adequate.

I took hold of the hundreds of times I’d heard, “Just write, even when things are hard. Just write.” And I wondered if “just writing” for the heck of writing words, was worth it? Sitting down at the computer became a dreaded thing and not something I ever imagined I’d feel about this craft I loved. I’m a good student and I continued to do what I was taught. Write, despite. . .but God was calling me into a new season. I was too blind to see and literally, to deaf to hear.

There is wisdom in continuing to forge ahead. Wiser writers than me have weathered tougher situations and yet, they kept up the battle. Some turning out their best work, but me – I struggled day to day. My mind refused to process quickly and frustration became my writing partner. In a moment when tears dripped off my cheek, I relinquished control. That’s when I made the decision to rewrite the Lord’s Prayer. I needed redirection. I needed to be left alone for a time – no expectations, no demands.

There were times Jesus secluded Himself. Times He felt and longed for quiet. In the thick of His ministry, thousands swamped Him, pleading for a touch of His healing. Physically and mentally, He grew weary and He would retreat alone to spend time in prayer with His Father. We don’t know the prayers Jesus offered up during those times. Perhaps, for His compassion to remain intact, maybe physical strength, or just peace and quiet. Maybe, like me, He felt part of His ministry slipping away. But He needed to renew and recharge from the cries of the afflicted.

When Jesus took time to teach us prayer, the simplicity of His words etched in our hearts. His prayer became our prayer—the one we go to when we cannot find the words. I’ve spoken that prayer hundreds of times, but this time I brought a healing and weary body to the feet of Christ. He’d protected, healed much . . . not all, but much, and as I sought out the peace and quiet I longed for, I heard Him speak to my heart. Rest my love. The words are in the peace you will find. Trust me. Rest.  

I rose from my bed, grabbed my computer and poured the first real words I’d penned in months. But it took my re-writing the Lord’s Prayer to see what I needed. I’ve prayed the rewrite over and over and when I least expected it, God answered.

Give me this day, Lord, my portion of bread. Please, in your mercy, forgive my sins and guide me to forgive others—even when it’s hard. Protect me from Satan and the things he entices me toward. For You, O mighty God. . .You are holy. May I be teachable and acceptant of your will in my life, especially when I do not understand the path You have me on. For, Lord God, this is YOUR kingdom from now into eternity. Amen. And Amen.

Writing through the hard times are important, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make important time to seek Him out for rest and renewal. Take time to re-read the prayer Jesus taught, then rewrite it to fit the cry of your own heart. He will hear and answer.

TWEETABLES
The Lord's Prayer Rewritten for Writers - @CindyDevoted on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

An inspiring prayer for writers - @CindyDevoted on @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Cindy Sproles is an award-winning author and popular speaker. She is the cofounder of Christian Devotions ministries and managing editor of Straight Street Books and SonRise Devotionals, imprints of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. Cindy is the executive editor of
www.christiandevotions.us and 
www.inspireafire.comShe teaches at writers 
conferences nationwide and directs The Asheville Christian Writers Conference - Writers Boot Camp. 

She is the author of two devotionals, He Said, She Said - Learning to Live a Life of Passion and New Sheets - Thirty Days to Refine You into the Woman You Can Be. Cindy's debut novel, Mercy's Rain, is available at major retailers. Visit Cindy at www.cindysproles.com and book her for your next conference or ladies retreat. Also connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.

11 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can only echo your Amen Ms. Cindy. God's blessings for sharing your heart ma'am. I pray He blesses you for your steadfast faith, and your belief that He will always be there with you. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully rewritten and yet so true to the original.
    Amazing job, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your beautiful prayer, Cindy. I love how God meets us right where we are when we're hurting or when we can't find the words we think we should say while praying. Miraculous things happen when we humbly seek God for direction or wisdom. I believe He wants to hear our hearts. Thanks for sharing yours, Cindy. He brings so much beauty out from our trials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your personal rewrite. Its beauty is radiant with truth and wisdom.
    Like you in hard times, I write scripture for comfort as well as for taking hold of direction. Your challenge to rewrite a passage to personalize a message is encouraging.
    Praying on for you, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find writing scripture helps me process, Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete