Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Blessing of the Book I Never Intended to Write

by Sarah Van Diest @SarahVanDiest

God in the Dark, the little devotional book I wrote, comes out on April 3rd and its launch team has been meeting together on social media for about six weeks already. I had no idea what to expect in launching a book, and I am in awe.

As if a door cracked open just ever so much, I have glimpsed how the Lord has begun using the book in the hearts of those who read it. Like I said, I am in awe.
If you remember the story, I never planned on publishing this book. They were letters to a friend. The words in those letters had done their job, at least in my mind. Ha. I laugh. The words in the book are the not the answers people seek. No. The words in the book, I hope, will point the way to that sometimes elusive light when the way seems overwhelmed with darkness. Even more than that, my prayer is that they will see the Father who stands faithfully by their side.

I asked the team to underline passages in the book that resonate with them. We’ve only read through the first week, but it has been a good week thus far. I thought I’d share some of those passages with you today.

When there is pain—the kind that lingers or resurfaces—we can feel frustrated at ourselves, or even at God. We may think that if our faith were stronger, or our love for the Lord held a tighter grip on our hearts, then the pain would be gone, should be gone. But is that really what God tells us? What do we do when pain won’t leave us alone?

And then as we feel overwhelmed by the circumstances of our lives, and when all we can see is darkness, hope seems to vanish. But that is an illusion. Hope remains.

The book left the warehouse on Monday for retailers and distribution centers around the world. This is surreal indeed. Even before the release date of April 3rd, books will likely be on shelves and in mailboxes.

Would you join me in praying for each book sent out?
There are hearts suffocating, drowning in the dark waters of depression, grief, pain, and all sorts of chaos… and they need the Light of Hope. My prayer is that the words in the book will lead their hearts to the giver of Life. Many already know him by name, but they can’t seem to find him in their despair. May this book be a light for the way home.

TWEETABLE

Educated as a teacher, Sarah taught school for nearly 20 years. As a young woman, she lived in China amid the rice paddies and water buffalo near Changsha, and then later taught English in Costa Rica for four years and raised her two sons. 

Sarah is married for the second time, the mother of 2 boys and the step-mother to 3 more. She and her husband, David, work together in their agency The Van Diest Literary Agency. Her full name is Sarah Ruth Gerke Van Diest. She’s 5’5” and cuts her hair when stress overtakes her. 

She is a freelance editor (including a New York Times and USA Today bestseller), blogger (The Write Conversation) and writer for hire. Her first book releases with NavPress in 2018. 

14 comments:

  1. What a great title! Praying your book brings hope to this world.
    Congrats, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father, I praise your name for the wonderful gifts you've blessed this sweet servant with. Father God, allow her words to flow into the souls of all those who read them. Let them mix with the salve of grace only you can apply. I pray that each reader receives the blessing you intended for them to receive as you helped guide Ms. Sarah's words. Bless her faithfulness Lord. In Jesus' precious name we pray. -Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim!!! What wonderful words and such a lovely prayer!
      Honored,
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. I'm thrilled to be on your team, Sarah. The truths shared in your book are intentionally {and beautifully} wrapped in grace bringing forth much comfort and peace for those in the midst of pain and for all of us, because none of escape it.

    Praying for your book and for all those who are blessed to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy!!! You are a gift to me! Such a beautiful treasure!!!
      Never Alone,
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. I'm with Cathy, I'm so happy to be a part of the team! I'm sharing this post so friends know about your comforting book and its history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim!!! I'm so happy to have both of you with me! What a blessing it has been!!!!
      Never alone!!!
      Sarah

      Delete
  5. I am lucky enough to have read a advanced readers copy of this book. It is truly amazing. So much soul food. It resonated deeply with my own journey through the hard places, where God is still faithful. If you find yourself in a dark place this devotional willhelp you connect with the God of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind sir!!! :) It is good to "hear" you, and I really can. I read your words in my head with your full voice. Love it!!
      Blessings to you, my encouraging friend!!!!!

      Sarah

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love this! Agreeing in prayer with you. Great blog title, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you, Julie!!! And I agree about the title. I asked Edie to come up with one, because I didn't have one at all. I called it "Blog for March." hahah! She's the best!!!
      Blessings to you!
      Sarah

      Delete
  7. Me too! I'm so thankful to be on your team, Sarah. Your book is a beautiful testament about the gift of God's unconditional love. In truth and in the power of His word He is always near. He loves us so much He allows us to become broken at times, not to abandon or forsake us as satan wants us to believe, but so we can find rest in Him in the midst of what we think is our end. Our desolation. We can run to Him and find power in our worship, and in the deepest cry of our hearts. Your book is not only for those who are hurting today, but I see this book as a guide for all my tomorrows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Joann! What powerful words! Thank you for them and for the encouragement they bring. Let us pray that what you say will be true in the hearts of many... and may that look any way the Father desires it.
      Blessings to you, and many thanks for being who you are!
      Sarah

      Delete