Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Calendar Days—July’s Crazy Holidays & Special Occasions—Idea Starters for Writers

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

It’s time again for Calendar Days. These are just fun to read. They’re also a great way to jumpstart our creativity when looking for ideas for articles and blog posts. They’re also a fun writing prompt idea. 

In addition, calendar days are great conversation starters for social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, especially when two contrasting holidays fall on the same date. Here are some that tickled my funny bone this month:

July 7 is Tell the Truth Day and Global Forgiveness Day, I guess we can ask forgiveness for the telling the truth on the same day.  July 11 is World Population Day and Cheer Up the Lonely Day – have anyone looked at how many people are on this earth? July 20 is Get out of the Doghouse Day is the same day as Ugly Truck Day, hmmm I think I see the connection.

July is
Independent Retailer Month
Picnic Month
National Anti-boredom Month
Horseradish Month
National Cell Phone Courtesy Month
National Hot Dog Month
National Ice Cream Month

July 1
Zip Code Day
Postal Worker Day
International Joke Day
Second Half of the Year Day
Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day

July 2
I forgot Day
World UFO Day

July 3
Stay out of the Sun Day
Disobedience Day
International Plastic Bag Free Day
Compliment Your Mirror Day

July 4 is Independence Day!
July 4
Sidewalk Egg Frying Day
Independence from Meat Day
Hop a Park Day
Build a Scarecrow Day
National Country Music Day
Independence Day

July 5
Work-a-holics Day
Bikini Day

July 6
National Fried Chicken Day
Umbrella Cover Day
International Kissing Day
Take Your Webmaster to Lunch Day

July 7
National Strawberry Sundae Day
Chocolate Day
Global Forgiveness Day
Tell the Truth Day

July 8
Video Games Day
Scud Day (Savor the Comic, Unplug the Drama Day)

July 9
National Sugar Cookie Day

July 10 is Teddy Bear Picnic Day
July10
Teddy Bear Picnic Day
Don’t Step on a Bee Day

July 11
World Population Day
Cheer up the Lonely Day

July 12
Pecan Pie Day
Etch a Sketch Day
Different Colored Eyes Day

July 13
Fool’s Paradise Day
French Fries Day
International Town Criers Day
Embrace Your Geekness Day
Barbershop Music Appreciation Day

July 14
Pandemonium Day
Shark Awareness Day
Cow Appreciation Day
Bastille Day

July 15
Tapioca Pudding Day
Gummi worm Day
Pet Fire Safety Day

July 16
Corn Fritters Day
Fresh Spinach Day

July 17
Yellow Pig Day
Peach Ice Cream Day

July 18
National Caviar Day

July 19
National Raspberry Cake Day
National Ice Cream Day (Third Sunday of July)

July 20 is Moon Day
July 20
Moon Day
Space Exploration Day
Get Out of the Doghouse Day
Ugly Truck Day
World Jump Day
National Lollipop Day

July 21
National Junk Food Day

July 22
Hammock Day

July 23
Vanilla Ice Cream Day
Gorgeous Grandma Day
National Hot Dog Day

July 24
Cousins Day
Tell an Old Joke Dai
Drive-thru Day
Amelia Earhart Day

July 25
Threading the Needle Day
Culinarians Day

July 26
Aunt and Uncle Day
One Voice Day
Parents Day (Fourth Sunday in July)
All or Nothing Day

July 27 is Walk on Stilts Day.
July 27
Take Your Houseplant for a Walk Day
Walk on Stilts Day

July 28
National Milk Chocolate Day

July 29
Rain Day
Lipstick Day
National Lasagna Day
International Tiger Day

July 30
Paperback Book Day
Father-in-law Day
Chili Dog Day
National Cheesecake Day
International Day of Friendship

July 31
World Ranger Day
Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day
Talk in an Elevator Day
System Administrator Appreciation Day

Now let's do a little brainstorming for July. What are some of your favorite days from the list and how do you propose using them?

Don't forget to join the conversation,
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES



4 comments:

  1. I always find these fun. Thank you. I love July 7th Chocolate Day. My son will not know about July 3rd being disobedience day; I will let him know that July 26th is Parents day. Have a blessed Holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these posts too, Edie. So fun! I am NOT telling my boys about July 8th being Video Games day! :) But I think I'll tell my hubby about July 6th being International Kissing Day. ;) That could lead up to a great blog post on marriage.

    Hmmm, I just had a thought. What if, I used some of these to make pics and posts for other social media? Like Ugly Truck Day? I've got some great pics of the ugliest truck I've ever seen. What do you think, Edie? Could this be helpful for engagement on social media?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I'm no expert, but thanks to inspiration from Edie, I started posting about food holidays on my Facebook page, always including a picture of the food and asking a question of some sort. I've gotten more engagement and views for those posts than anything else I've ever posted about! And it's been lots of fun for me, too. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's good to know. Thanks for sharing, Jerusha! :)

      Delete