Monday, September 22, 2014

Social Media Monday—5 Tips to Keep Your Social Media Relevant and Fresh

by Edie Melson @EdieMelson

It's important to keep your social media updates fresh and relevant.
This past week I was contacted by one of my social media students, Wendy Herrmann Smith. Because of the death of Robin Williams, she had changed up her social media routine, adding in an the additional topic of mental health to the updates she regularly shared with her friends and followers. After Wendy started down this path, doubts began to make her second-guess the shift, so she contacted me.

I couldn’t have been happier.

She was taking the principles I’d taught and applied them to make her social media personality unique. Yes, it’s important to find a focus and a connection with your audience. But it’s just as important to stay true to yourself and keep your online conversations relevant. Her detour couldn’t have been more relevant.

After she and I exchanged a couple of emails, I considered the wise decision she’d made and wanted to build on that. So today I have several tips to help you keep your social media relevant and fresh.

Pay attention to what's going on in the world.
1. Pay attention to what's going on in the world. We live in a connected society. Everyone has almost instant access to breaking news. Capitalize on this and look for ways to deepen your connection to your audience through important happenings.

2. Don’t be afraid to deviate from the norm. As I said above, it’s important to stay true to what your audience has come to expect. But that doesn’t mean you can’t throw an occasional curve ball. If something impacts you, chances are it will impact others. Don’t be afraid to explore new avenues.

3. Experiment with new times. I normally post social media updates between 9am and 6pm, Monday through Friday. I’ve begun experimenting with posting outside this time and it’s connected me with some new people who aren’t online from 9 – 5.

Always be on the look out for new sources.
4. Always look for new sources of information. With social media, it’s easy to get in a rut. If I’m not careful I’m visiting the same online sites everyday and sharing only those. I have to be purposeful about expanding my horizons.
  
5. Don’t forget to ask some questions. Every update doesn’t have to include a URL. Instead, try asking an open-ended question several times a week. This is part of being deliberate about starting the conversation.

These are the things that I try to do to keep what I share on social media relevant and fresh. I'd love to hear your tips. Take a minute to share them in the comments section below. And if you'd like to connect further with Wendy, visit her on Twitter and Facebook

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Edie

TWEETABLES
5 Tips to Keep Your Social Media Updates Relevant & Fresh - via #SocialMedia Mentor @EdieMelson (Click to Tweet)

Social Media Mentor @EdieMelson shares how one savvy #writer keeps her #socialmedia updates relevant & fresh (Click to Tweet)

5 comments:

  1. I always love your tips, Edie. I'm learing new things from you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ane, always glad to share what I've learned! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Great tips, Edie. I am not good at changing things up, aside from blogging about certain movies that speak to me. Each time I have done this (3 times), I've received good feedback. I think part of it is because they are current (still in theaters, or recently gone to DVD). I didn't figure I had anything to add to what was out there after Robin Williams' death. So, I didn't speak to it. :) I need to be more purposeful in being aware so I can blog about more of the world around me.

    You've challenged me again. :) Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, we all need a little nudge out of our comfort zone. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I like these tips--very do-able and east to add into my routine. I particularly like asking a question to get a conversation going.

    ReplyDelete