Friday, July 18, 2014

Life Lessons—Don’t Let the Don’ts Stop You

by Bruce Brady @bdbrady007

During a writing class I attended, the instructor stressed that we should write just about anything. She went on to qualify that by saying, “It needs to be believable. You don’t want to write about the moon being made out of cheese.”

Because my brain works the way it does, I thought why not? I’m not saying the instructor was wrong. It was just a spontaneous remark to stress that readers would not be receptive to the absurd. However, my questioned remained. Why couldn’t I write about the moon being made of cheese?

I believe you can write about the moon being made of cheese, or pink horses with purple polka dots, or any number of absurd things, if you write for the right audience. While lovers of romance, thrillers, suspense and mystery may scoff at a such things, children would love the right story about a moon of cheese.

My point is this, don’t ever let someone’s don’t stop you from writing a story you’re passionate about. Too many times I hear writers quickly dismiss their own story ideas with a, “Nobody would read that.” Perhaps nobody would, but carefully consider the possibilities of your ideas before dismissing them as silly. What if J.K. Rowling quickly dismissed the idea of a boy who lived with abusive relatives would escape their abuse by disappearing into a large column at a train station and traveling to a school of wizardry?


Oh, and the moon of cheese story? It’s taken. I’m working on it now. So please think before you dismiss an idea that sticks in your head. Maybe bounce it off of a couple of trusted friends to get their reactions. But at least spend some time thinking about who might read the story. In throwing away any story idea without giving it fair consideration you may be robbing countless people of a pleasurable experience.

Has this ever happened to you? Share your thoughts below in the comments section. 

Don't forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,
Bruce

TWEETABLES


Bruce Brady is an author, writer and playwright. His work has appeared in Focus on the Family’s Thriving Family, www.ChristianDevotions.us, and on stage. Currently, Bruce is working on a Young Adult Novel about a boy who must deal with the death of his dad, being bullied, and helping his mom through her grief. His first five pages took third place in the ACFW South Carolina Chapter’s “First Five Pages” contest.

When he’s not writing, Bruce spends time learning from and helping other writers. He serves as Mentor of Word Weavers International’s Online Chapter, and as a member of Cross ‘N’ Pens, The Writer’s Plot, ACFW’s National and South Carolina Chapters.

“My dream is to entertain my readers and give them hope as they travel the rocky road of life.”

Connect with Bruce on his blog, The Write VoyageFacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.

10 comments:

  1. I'm in a private Facebook group and some of us recently discussed how many teachers can have a negative influence on creatives because of their words. You are right Bruce, why can't we push the envelope? As a child, I would have loved to read a book about a moon made of cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. Perhaps you can read that book yet. :)

      Delete
  2. Great article Bruce - but a little gutted that you have nabbed the 'moon made of cheese' idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. I'm sorry I've taken the idea, but there are many more out there. Just don't touch mine. ;)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the post, Bruce! I look forward to reading about the moon made out of cheese story during group time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. It's currently waiting on Willie.

      Delete
  4. Many industry professionals said my writing was good, but my story would never fly. Ahem, my debut novel came out via a small press in March 2013 and two more in November and December 2013. So much for predictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. What they probably should start saying is, "They can't make it fly."

      Delete
  5. I'm with you, Susan. My current work, a Bible study, got some, "Nice idea but it won't sell" comments the last time I showed it to a few agents. Their "don't and "won't" aren't stopping me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go girl. If the Lord laid it on your heart, He wants you to write it.

      Delete