Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A New Chapter in My Writing Life

by Edie Melson

Over the course of my writing career, I’ve gotten to do a lot of pretty cool things. This past week I’ve been teaching at the Florida Christian Writers Conference and I got to sit and visit with the editor who purchased by very first article during my first time at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference. The editor was Jesse Florea of Focus on the Family.

It was great to hang out with Jesse, but what was even cooler was the story he shared. At that same BRMCWC, he had also bought articles from three other new writers—and we were all on staff this past week in Florida.

I just love the way God works.

Today is another milestone for me. I mentioned last week in my Writer’s Bucket List post that one of the things I've always wanted to do was write for Guideposts. Well today I’m beginning as a regular blogger on their site. I’ll be the military family blogger and I’ll be posting twice a week—Tuesday and Friday.

A Marine holding his mother's hand during a ceremony.
The blog is called, While They Serve, and it has a two-fold purpose. This blog is a gathering place for military families and friends. We offer support and encouragement from the perspective of those who have been where you are. It's also a place for others to learn how to offer positive support to military families during their times of service.

I’d love your help spreading the word about my new endeavor. My post today on the Guideposts site is an introduction to my own journey with a son in the Marine Corps. It’s also a victory, reminding me that God doesn’t let anything—not even pain and hardship—go to waste in the life of a writer.

How have the hard times in your life been reflected in your writing? I’d love to hear about your victories!

Don’t forget to join the conversation,
Blessings,

Edie

TWEETABLES

27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh Susan, I promise I didn't mean to make you cry! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. After my daughter Brooke died her beautiful spirit and kind voice appears in much of my writing. I love seeing her live on through my words.
    I am so happy about your new endeavor and will help spread the word. Edie,you are so special to many of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeeDee, thank you so much. You are infinitely special to me as well! Love & Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Edie! God is SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, He certainly is! Thanks so much for the encouragement! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed meeting you Edie at the Florida Christian Writers Conference. Congratulations on your dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, thank you! And thank you for all your prayers. My dad is improving daily. Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Edie!!!! So happy for you. You are an inspiration to so many of us :)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you for the encouragement! Hugs, E

      Delete
  6. Dear Edie,
    I love watching God expand the cords of your tent. I love watching the Lord birth purpose out of pain and hardship. Thank you for the time and devotion you have given to your readers. And now, many more are going to be strengthened as their soldier goes off to war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie, thank you! I'm so glad God has brought our paths together during this writing journey. Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! You were one of the first encouragers that I met through my blog and I love the fact that we've become online friends and supporters! Blessings, E

      Delete
  8. Congrats, Edie!

    I'm thrilled for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad for the good things God is bring from all the hard times you've endured, Edie. I know He will use you to minister to many other families in similar situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, He is faithful in all things. Sometimes I need to be reminded of that! Blessings, E

      Delete
  10. God is blessing you Edie and what a blessing you are to so many. I am very excited for your new endeavors and will help spread the word. Hugs and Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Edie,
    The first one to publish my work was also Jesse Florea! Small world, isn't it?
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, it is a small world! At the conference this past week, we began calling ourselves "Jesse's Girls." He really has helped so many of us! Blessings, E

      Delete
  12. What wonderful news, Edie. You deserve every good thing that comes your way. Spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I don't know about the deserve part, but God's grace is a truly amazing thing. Thanks & Blessings, E

      Delete
  13. What an exciting new chapter in your life! Can't wait. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Carolina Conference this weekend.

    ReplyDelete