by Edie Melson
Isn’t it funny how certain phrases become part of the vernacular? One phrase I find myself using fairly often is Bucket List. For me, it denotes more than just a wish, these are goals and dreams that I’d like to accomplish before I kick the bucket.
I had the opportunity to hear Debbie Macomber speak at ACFW in 2008. One of the things she said that stuck with me was to make a list—a crazy, I’ll-never-in-a-million-years-accomplish-this list—and write it down. She shared how she had done that, and been able to cross off almost everything on that list.
She inspired me, and today I’m sharing the list I started that night, when I got back up to my hotel room.
My list isn’t numbered, or even in any particular order. Also, these are the things on my Bucket List that pertain to writing. I have other things on the list, but they don’t necessarily pertain to writing.
Writer's Bucket List
- Publish a book, then another, and another and...well, you get the idea—this one came to fruition in 2011, with FIGHTING FEAR: WINNING THE WAR AT HOME WHEN YOUR SOLDIER LEAVES FOR BATTLE. Thank you Eddie Jones and Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas.
- Have books on the shelf in every bookstore—independent and chain stores—still not there. Any bookstore can order my book, but few stock it.
- Have a book signing in Barnes & Noble—I was able to do this in the summer of 2012, in Jackson Mississippi. It was one of the most disappointing experiences ever. We’d ordered my books to have on hand and through a shipping snafu, they didn’t arrive. So I sat at Barnes and Noble, with business cards and fliers, but no books.
- Teach at a writers conference—this one came in 2009, when I was on staff at a writers conference that gave me my start in the industry—the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference.
- Direct a writers conference—I’m now the co-director of that conference, thanks to the generosity and friendship of Alton Gansky (the director)
- Write for Guideposts—can I have a drumroll please…I just signed a contract to write two blogs posts a week for Guideposts.org. I’ll be sharing all the details soon, including a link to the blog.
- Win an award for my blog—this one came this year. Thank you to The Positive Writer!
- Get a job as a managing editor of a magazine—I was fortunate to have the opportunity to be the managing editor of a start-up magazine for young, Christian men, Centered Mag. Unfortunately it's no longer in publication, but it was a great experience and one I'm so grateful to have had.
- Get a Literary Agent—In 2012 I signed with my agent, Jessica Kirkland, with the The Blythe Daniel Agency!
- Reach 10,000 Twitter followers—I worked hard for this one and reached it last year.
- Have a New York Times best seller—I’m still hoping this will come to pass in the future.
- Have a TV movie made from one of my books—another one I’m waiting for.
- Keynote at a writers conference—I was able to do this in 2012, again at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference.
- Co-author a book with Michelle Medlock Adams—I got to teach with this lady back in 2009/10 and discovered a sister of the soul. I’m praying for an opportunity to work on at least one project with this amazing woman!
I’ve shared some of my goals/dreams with you. I’d love to hear what’s on your Writing Bucket List.
Don’t forget to join the conversation!