Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Take Time to Nourish the Writer Within

by Edie Melson

Writing is hard work.

Beyond the physical part, it’s emotionally taxing. We pour our hearts and souls into the words we arrange into stories, articles, even blog posts. We spend time and money learning how to write, constantly improving our skills.

Then, we take a deep breath and share our words with the world. So often that world can be less than kind. To face the tumultuous life of writing, we have to take time to nourish the writer within.

Today I want to share some tips you can use—even if life is crazy—to feed your writer’s soul.


Come up with a schedule—complete with breaks—and stick to it. It doesn’t have to be a to-the-minute sort of thing. I promise myself a break every hour to hour-and-a-half. But breaking things into small bites reduces the stress.

Set goals, some small, some large. The variety keeps it interesting— and doable!

Reward yourself when you meet a goal. Goals give you something to shoot for and something to celebrate. It could be something as easy as 5 M&Ms when you write 500 words. But take time to give yourself positive feedback.

Surround yourself with cheerleaders. Enlist your family and friends in your dream. Share your struggles, share your goals, share your success. You’ll be richer in the end.

Take time to be a vegetable. For me, that’s mindless TV. I love Survivor, Castle and Big Bang Theory. For you, it may be time to thumb through a magazine or have a cup of coffee.

And on that note…eat right. I know, it’s become a cliché. But things are clichés for a reason—they’re usually true. Make sure your diet is well balanced. None of us can exist for days on end with nothing but junk food.

Don’t forget to exercise. I hate it like the plague (talk about a cliché). But I ALWAYS feel better when I take time for it. No only do I feel better physically, but I’m sharper mentally.

Join a writing community. Or if you already have one, take an active part in it. 

Give yourself permission to write junk. Sometimes I just have to write bad before I can write good. Knowing it’s going to happen makes it more palatable.

Don’t neglect your spiritual life. None of us would be here without God. Make Him your priority and He’ll handle the rest.

These are my ten tips. What would you add to the list?

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,

Edie

Tweetables

19 comments:

  1. Great list, Edie! So simple and practical. Sometimes we think there has to a complicated formula in order to write--and keep writing. You make it "doable".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, for years I struggled, trying to find that 'formula'. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I would only add that the writing community you join should meet often enough that you're motivated to write every day. It's worked for me in the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, excellent clarification! A group that meets once a month is a good starting point, but we all need regular accountability. Thanks for adding your experience! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. How do you find these wonderful people? There might be some people out there that don't know where to start at all.

      Also, Edie, what would you recommend for the college types like myself? We have so many assignments piled up on us, that it's easy to forget that writing should be fun! How do we cultivate the muse within without making it feel like yet another assignment?


      Burned out,'
      Laurie

      Delete
  3. Edie, my tip would be to give yourself permission to let a few things go, especially if you are doing Nanowrimo. I feel guilty when I can't be all things to all people, but I also make myself nuts when I try to be. Life changes when we set a goal like the NaNo and we need to be okay with making that a priority. Thanks as always for your insight and encouragement. I consider you part of my community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, you are so right! We all fight the guilt that comes with letting people down, even when they don't expect us to do things we think we should. Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. This is my day to nourish the writer within . . . Unfortunately, I had to actually hit the wall to get here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I'm sorry you hit a wall…I'm glad you're taking time for yourself. But I have to ask, if you're taking time for yourself, WHY ARE YOU READING MY BLOG? Go outside and play! Love you, E

      Delete
  5. Boy, did I ever need to hear this right now! Thanks so much for the reminder to take time to fill up my spiritual, physical, and emotional tanks in the midst of so much pouring out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarissa, I'm glad this was timely. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. I would add 'Don't neglect your social life' to this list. Often, we cocoon, and keep our heads down in order to accomplish those goals, and crave alone time. When we raise our heads, we realize that our friends and family have gone on without us. Make time for them, too!

    BTW- I am SO with you on the 'couch potato' thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, you are so right about the 'don't neglect your social life' suggestion. As a matter of fact, I'm attending a ladies night out tonight! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only couch potato! Blessings, E

      Delete
  7. I usually read your blog through Feedly and haven't been here in a while. Love the layout. So, I'm selecting to comment using my Google profile. See if you can see the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice, Edie. I'd add "Get your sleep." When I'm writing, I tend to write into the early morning. When I reread it, it sounds like I wrote it on no sleep ... big surprise, right? Love the veggie head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm learning to back off when I get frustrated with a task. A change of scenery, prayer, doing something that works gives me new energy and perspective.

    ReplyDelete