Monday, November 4, 2013

Social Media Monday—Get Your Social Media Pages Ready for the Holidays

by Edie Melson

I know November is just starting, but Thanksgiving will be here before you know it, with Christmas right on its heels. Now is the time to get your social media pages are ready for the holidays.

The first thing you want to look at your cover photo on the different platforms. Consider ways you could enhance it to give it a warm, holiday feel. You’ll probably want to change it twice, once for fall and again for Christmas.


The best way to create a cover photo is to use PicMonkey. It’s an online photo editing site and even includes templates for sites like Facebook. Here’s a post I wrote about Working with Images.

Beyond changing the look of your platforms by changing your images, you’ll need to plan ahead for social media updates. Below is the header I created for my Steampunk Fables Facebook Page. (and yes, I'm working on new holiday headers for all my pages)

Header I created using PicMonkey.

Let’s face it, the holidays are fun, but they’re also hectic. By planning out some holiday updates in advance can save your sanity and keep the momentum going. Here are some ideas for fun social media updates:
  • Share your favorite holiday recipe and ask your friends/followers to share theirs. 
  • Ask your followers to give you tips on sanity savers during the holidays.
  • Share a crazy holiday faux pas and ask others to share theirs.
  • Share some of your favorite holiday reads.
  • Ask for decorating ideas.
  • Share a holiday tradition and ask for others to chime in.
  • Ask about favorite holiday movies.
  • Share your favorite Christmas carol and ask your friends to share theirs.

I think you get the idea.

But by planning these out in advance, you can have a list ready to go and not have to spend valuable time creating them.

You can also plan some blog posts in advance. The holidays are a good time to plan a giveaway. You can also plan a holiday cookie recipe exchange and a holiday potluck recipe exchange for your blog. The easiest way to do this is through a Meme. I use Linky to do all my memes. Here's a blog post to Get Started with Memes.

Now it’s your turn, share some holiday conversation starters, and blog post ideas.

Don’t forget to join the conversation!
Blessings,

Edie

Tweetables

6 comments:

  1. Oh, no. I didn't think I had to change everything for the holidays! I might not get to that, but I really like your list of holiday post ideas. I would add, "How do you relax during the holiday season?" Thanks Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, this wasn't a post to add something else to your to-do list! It's a fun way to change things up, but not a requirement, promise! As always, take away what makes your life easier…not harder! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder, Edie! I stopped in at my FB page this morning. My pumpkin cover photo needs to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I loved your cover photo. You always do such fun things with your blog and social media! Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Hi Edie - LOL! I needed mega help from a friend to set-up my Facebook Author Page. That puppy is staying up until more books are released. I do appreciate the post ideas. Blessings, Susan :)

    ReplyDelete