Sunday, June 30, 2013

Weekend Worship—You Gotta Go Deep to Grow Strong


But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’” Matthew 4:3

I’m fortunate to have already spent a lot of time at the beach this year. Although most of the time has been spent working, I did manage to take some long, morning walks on the beach. I was fascinated by the many types of birds I saw. Each one had its own way of foraging for food, and I couldn’t help but draw parallels between my own spiritual life and their quest for a meal.


The smallest birds were the quick sandpipers that ran along the shoreline. They appeared to almost be playing tag with the waves, alternately chasing and being chased, as they darted here and there in search of food. Getting fed seemed much more of a game than a serious quest, hence their tiny size.



Next were the obnoxious seagulls. They were bullies, aggravating the smaller birds, and even us, if we had something they thought they wanted. And they’d even drop a morsel of food if they thought something better was available. They’d eat anything they could find., regardless of its condition. And if you looked at them up close the fact didn’t surprise you. They were unkempt, straggly looking birds.

The largest winged creatures were the pelicans. These majestic birds tended to stay further out from shore and found hearty prey under the sea. I was fascinated by their varied flight path, moving from grazing the tops of the water with their wings to spot their targeted meals, to a steep dive that took them completely out of sight under the water. 


As my mind wandered to spiritual application I couldn’t help notice the largest and strongest birds were the ones who were willing to dive deep for the choicest food. The most delicate were those who waited on the banks for whatever tidbit was deposited within reach, while the bullies were shunned by all.



How like us they all were! I hate to admit how I could see myself in every group. I’ve lived (or tried to live) like those tiny sandpipers, living off crumbs—from books about God—instead of going to the Bible itself.

I’ve also chased after many kinds of unhealthy theology, often being so intent on following the crowd that I dropped something good for me to get something with no value at all. All the time thinking being full was enough.

But in the past few years I’ve learned to spend time in the God’s Word, diving in and going deep. There I’ve found the abundance of what I need to live in strength and health.

So where are you in the quest of spiritual nourishment? It’s something to think about.

11 comments:

  1. Tremendous analogy, Edie! I love coming here--there is always hearty food for thought that goes deep into my soul. Thanks so much!
    Blessings!
    Pam at 2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you so much! I always worry someone won't realize I'm talking about me and never writing a sermon. It helps to know you enjoy coming here! I'm so looking forward to your upcoming devotional for writers! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I love the analogy and the pictures, Edie! I, too, love to dig deep and find full nourishment from the Word of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alycia, thank you! I love your insights as well. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I always feel closer to God at the beach. I also study the different sea birds. Thanks for sharing today. I feel refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I agree. I can definitely hear from God when I'm gazing at the waves. Thanks for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Edie! Like, Jackie, I also feel closer to God at the beach. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. A beautiful and thoughtful analogy. How like the birds we all are. Thank God He makes us fly like the eagles when we feed on His Word and submit to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thanks for sharing your insights! Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Hi Edie,
    I know exactly what you mean. When the time of crisis comes, the little "feel good" books will not give you the substance like the Word of God does. We need to store it up just it is the most precious commodity on earth, so we'll have it when we need it most! God bless you and yours.
    Megan V.

    ReplyDelete