Sunday, May 5, 2013

Past Unwritten


Past Unwritten
by Edie Melson

His world once painted in vibrant colors with wide brush strokes
Now gray and indistinct.
Memories
Kept alive through stories, discussion, remembrances
Grow dim.

Words, once a rushing river of abundance,
Now trickle through a small stream bed
Stumbling over rocks
Stuttering to a stop in stagnant pools of
Forgetfulness.

An image, once a perfect composition,
Now missing the parts that made him whole.
Awkwardly fit together,
A cruel caricature of the man he
Once was.

Time, once a ribbon unbroken from past to present to future,
Now frayed and torn,
Beyond mending, but precious for the parts
That remain.


Times past, slowly fading, disappear
Into murky shadows,
A book being unwritten
Day by day.

Glimpses of the hero he is
Shine through the dim light in his eyes
Moments of recognition,
Treasures of the past.




I know this is normally where I post my Weekend Worship. But I wrote this as I try to come to terms with the encroaching dementia of someone I love. Perhaps you've found yourself struggling with a similar situation.

13 comments:

  1. Edie, you just described my daily walk at present. My wonderful husband of 52 years is suffering from dementia. He is now residing at the Veterans Victory House in Walterboro, S.C. (Check it out if you've never heard of it.) Jet pilot (he flew F86 Sabers), Pediatrician, medical missionary, prayer warrior, wonderful husband, father, and grandfather...I could go on, but time prohibits. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjorie, I'll be praying for you!

      Delete
    2. Dear Marjorie,

      I know you must be suffering terribly through this whole ordeal. I am so sorry that you are losing your husband, your rock, and your best friend to this cruel disease. I sincerely hope that you have family and close friends who can be with you at this time. My heart breaks for you...

      Delete
  2. Goodness, Edie. I'm so sorry. It must be very hard to go through this. Praying for you and the one you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using your words to express your heartache ... and to minister to others ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad, yet beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful and poignant piece. Praying for you and all those affected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. This is incredibly moving. May God bring strength to everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written, Edie. And I am sorry to hear one of your loved ones is facing that horrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Edie, what a wonderful tribute to your father. Pam and I may make a poet out of you yet. Your beautiful words, were thoughtful and touching. After working in retirement homes in Los Angeles for years, it really struck home. I think maybe you could expand on some of these lines and write more... Tell us about the man he was, and maybe we could take the time to put some science behind the sentiments. I will help you if you'd like me to. I will all be praying for you both. Blessings, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poignant. Thanks for sharing, Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I miss him! Such a painful way to say good-bye, taking so long, so frustrating for him, so tender for me. The agony of the indignities to endure, the trauma of his sudden anger with mother,that woman, the shame of the unkempt man. This hand I held so often as my strength now needing mine. The loving pastor no longer able to speak his message. Praising his Lord until his last breath. I will see you soon, whole and of sound mind,holding your hand again, praising our Lord together.
    Love,
    Daddy's little girl
    Thank you, Edie for your precious words!

    ReplyDelete