Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mixing Work and Pleasure

By Laurie Epps

Memorial Day marks off the unofficial kick-off of summer, but how do you use that time with your writing? Summer for me is often the same as the rest of the year, only hotter. But I'd love to be in a lounge chair sipping on mai-tai's with a cute cabana boy while researching my next novel. For me, that is not reality. Today we're going to talk about combining work and pleasure, and it may spin off some ideas for you that would otherwise lead to a financially difficult fall.


While mixing work and pleasure may seem like your laptop has to become your ball and chain, you can balance it in a way that you really do get a break from your routine.

After being slammed with information at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference this past week, I was completely exhausted. I'm still spiraling out of that. The most important thing you can do for yourself if you are going to bring your work with you, is to allow yourself some down time. Pace yourself. The beauty of being a freelance writer is the fact that you don't have a set schedule, except the one you impose on yourself.


So for Memorial Day weekend, I hung out with my girlfriend. Sunday we went out to nearby Lake Hartwell. However, I wasn't a slouch. All week at my conference, I took copious notes, and continued to write outlines for my future columns.

I think to break from our every day routine can be liberating, and great for brainstorming. My only caution there is to take notes, or you'll forget your great ideas. 

Already, I am scheduling out when to turn my ideas into action. It can be a wonderful opportunity, to combine new and old ideas when you get back to finish that last little bit of your novel, or start the large project you've been putting off. 

How do you navigate your work and deadlines when you go on vacation in the middle of it? Let us get some tips from you, our readers. It's time for you to join in the conversation. The Write Conversation.


Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell their many stories. To read more of Laurie's stories visit her Monday Morning Book Club column dedicated to writers everywhere, or her Thoughtful Thursday column dedicated to the art of Poetry at: http://1writerlaurieepps.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder that it's not only okay, but beneficial, to rest. Sometimes I feel that I just can't stop and take the time to just be...and not do. There's always so much to do!

    I'm trying to learn this important lesson, but even now I'm stressed over how behind I am on everything.

    But even God rested, so I must, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we can encourage each other Vonda. I'd like to start branding. You know, creating my own unique look to my blog, and coming up with a catch phrase.... So I've been asking my friends and family to give me three words to describe my personality. My number one word is Exciting, but the number two word is Workaholic. You see, dear friend, it is so much easier to say than it is to do! Thanks for stopping by.
      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete
  2. Downtime is very important. And I'm green because I didn't get to go to Blue Ridge! Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't kid yourself Patricia, Blue Ridge is work. It is terribly rewarding and fun, but you are still among professionals. You aren't just there to have fun, but to learn and network. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Was it a key element to my growth as a writer? Definitely. Real confession: Next year, I am definitely going to load my columns in advance. MIght this be another column for me? Probably. Thanks for stopping by. There will be more to come.
      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tips!

    As a debut author of The Moses Conspiracy, my life has taken a hectic, but good, turn. With all the new responsibilities, I've been struggling to get on some type of schedule.

    Memorial Day Weekend, I decided to re-enter the Real Life Zone. My mother and I shopped together. Flowers and veggies got planted. The house got a good cleaning. You know something? I'm refreshed and ready to dive into the fray once again.

    My head is brimming with ideas for blog posts, my WIP, and even marketing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, we are kindred spirits. I meant to do that, but after a killer semester and then going to Blue Ridge a week after school let out, I sort of collapsed. Now that my kids are home, hopefully, I will begin to finish the work I started. I did get a good jump on cleaning the weekend before I left for the conference. The good news? I scored the summer off from school. That's good, one less thing. I hope we both get a lot done this summer. I'll keep you posted.
      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete