Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How Writing Ruined My Wife—A Spouse's Experience at the 2013 Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference

by Kirk Melson


Edie Melson, Alton Gansky & Eva Marie Everson
As many of you know, my wife co-directs the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian WritersConference (BRMCWC) along with Alton Gansky, and contest director, Eva Marie Everson. 

The conference was held last week in North Carolina. I've figured out the required spousal support really peaks during those conference weeks, and this was no exception. 


What can I do?
I was supposed to attend the banquet on the last night of the conference, but of course I got a call from her, needing me to bring her stuff the day before. So, there I went—shuffling my schedule, gathering our things, delivering the dog, and hustling off to the conference one day early.

Of course, that was only the beginning. I came with the warning that I would need to work in the hotel room during the days. 

But of course the phone kept ringing. 
"Honey, I forgot the..." 
"Could you...?" 

Concentration on my own work waned. 

Kirk Melson & Todd Starnes
Well, if you thought I was going to drag her through the mud this week, I'm sorry to disappoint.  I have attended a little of BRMCWC for the last two years. To me, this is a conference of superheroes. These folks have surrendered to the calling of God to write His words and have a positive impact on our world. These writers obey God in spite of the difficulty it brings; many times with little monetary reward. But it's God's work.

Jim Rubart & Kirk Melson
When I attend these conferences, I feel the love of God pouring through his servants. And the worship times are so sincere I know Jesus is right in our midst. Personally, these heroic folks are as humble and kind as can be, and they are so interested in each other's success. Heck, they even act interested in me!

Guys, I even bore myself.


Through my wife's writing and these conferences, I have gotten to meet some of my own personal heroes: 


Lori & Rob Roeleveld with, of course, Kirk Melson
James Rubart, Alton Gansky, Todd Starnes, Lori Roeleveld, Ann Tatlock, Vonda Skelton, Beth Vogt, Steven James and the list just keeps on going.

(Okay, the most profound hero in my life is my ruined wife Edie Melson, but don't tell her I said that. Not sure I could live with her after that.)

There are so many other writers and friends that I met that I just can't list them all—don't have room on this darn blog! (I know, Al, I'm running thin on the exclamation marks.) They all seemed to be having fun at this conference—not like my engineering conferences. (Can you imagine?)

Waiting...and waiting...
photo courtesy of Alycia Morales
In short, I really love my sweet wife and all those encouraging folks who attend the conference each year, and I appreciate all of the help you give each other.

Of course, there was the waiting...and waiting....

How about the rest of you with writer spouses? Do y'all consider your spouse to be a hero, in spite of all their uniqueness?

19 comments:

  1. I hope Edie appreciates how fortunate she is to have a husband like you. My writing is tolerated. I get a ker-ching when i get a new contract :( and that's it. Now if I wrote football related stuff it'd be different. But Christian fiction...and romance at that? Nah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, I definitely appreciate how truly blessed i am!

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful you have a supportive spouse, Edie! My late husband was also a gem. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks so much for all your support and for stopping by. Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. Okay Kirk is my new favorite BRMCWC attendee. I love his blog and he is sooo funny. I told him at the banquet that they should just assign a seat up front for the young man that wins so many awards each year in the Children's category. I can't remember his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, the young man is Cyle Young. You're right, we all need to remember that name. I predict we'll be hearing from him a lot in the future - this time with publishing contracts and bylines! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Kirk, it was amazing to meet and be able to spend time with you! My husband's still asking about teaching a class with you next year! We are friends for life now, you know that, right? Much love! Rob and Lori.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, we feel the same way about you all - definitely friends for life!!! We're praying for you both, too. Love you, E

      Delete
  5. Amazing post by an amazing man. Edie, you are so blessed to have Kirk. Writers who read your blog are so fortunate to have Kirk providing his point of view. Keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reebs, you are so right! Thanks so much for stopping by, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Oh what a fun post. Yay for supportive spouses. :) Last year was my first experience at BRMCWC...loved it! Sadly couldn't make it work schedule-wise this year, but hopefully in future years...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirk, Edie must be so proud. You didn't dis her and she didn't have to ghost write this post. And what a hero for traveling a day early just to serve her. If she ever displays anything less than total appreciation for you, just remember, we have a spare room. :-) Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE reading Kirk's posts (your too, Edie. Don't feel bad LOL). Didn't get over to say hi, but I saw him with ya :) Such a fabulous conference - and supportive spouse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with "Yay for supportive spouses." Fun to hear Kirk's point of view. Thanks for sharing him with all of us at Blue Ridge!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved hearing Kirk's point of view and definitely enjoyed meeting the other half to the amazing Edie Melson!

    You and your staff did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dear husband, Steve is the best (no offense, Kirk—you sound WONDERFUL!). He has always had my back and patiently (usually) does first edits on my manuscripts. I have learned so much from him and he is my biggest cheerleader. And here's the most amazing thing to me—he always wanted to write a novel. But life stood in his way as the hours at his writing/editing job wore down his energy. But he always summoned the energy after work and on weekends to support my writing. He's cheered me on as I've received some awards; his "award" has been a thank you in my acknowledgments and a dedication in my third book. He never questioned my calling when I felt led to start writing. I can honestly say that, without the Lord and without Steve's support, I would not have accomplished anything so far. Steve instilled life into my dream, while laying to rest his own. His sacrificial support will always make him my treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another reason to be upset that I didn't get to go to Blue Ridge! I missed Kirk! I know it was fabulous! (Giving Kirk a run for his money on !)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun post and a fun conference! Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chiming in late, Kirk.
    I must say that you were quite the hero too -- helping Edie with so many things behind the scenes. I know how thankful she is for you.

    ReplyDelete