Wednesday, February 6, 2013

How Writing Ruined my Wife—Help, I’m Hearing Voices!


More Thoughts from a Writer’s Spouse

I’m enjoying getting to know you through my wife’s blog. You’ve all made me feel welcome, and even helped me as I get to know what to expect with a writing wife.

Many of you may not know that by day I’m an engineer. I have my own business and work out of our home. Because of this, Edie and I have shared an office for almost fifteen years. Lately, I’ve noticed a new symptom that appears to have come from rooming with a writer.

I’ve begun hearing voices.

I’m sure those of you who live with a writer have heard of this phenomenon. I’m familiar with it in an esoteric sort of way. Edie has often complained about her characters not behaving and occasionally mentioned arguing with them.

I really thought this was some kind of writer-speak for writer’s block. I had no idea made up people could actually carry on a conversation in one’s mind.

I was wrong. I know that for sure because they’ve taken to paying occasional visits to my head. And they’re not even my characters.

It’s nice to be able to discuss Edie’s ideas, helping her iron out issues with plot and outlines. But hearing about her characters is one thing…hearing from them something else entirely.

And, to make it even worse, Edie’s not one bit sympathetic. So I’d like to know, have any of your spouse’s writing life issues rubbed off on you? Be kind, I could use a little sympathy.

If you missed Kirk's post last week, click here to read all about How Writing Ruined My Wife.


16 comments:

  1. Kirk, I'm sorry to tell you, once again she's not alone! With me thinking of delving into the fiction world, I'm hearing them too! This is a great new article! Love you Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems so normal to writers...and so scary to normals (those who don't write). Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I think we should take a poll and find out how many female writers are married to engineers. I think the one thing Vic has to deal with the most is me needing no distractions while I'm in the process. Thankfully, he's great about letting me peel out to Starbucks when I absolutely MUST get deeper into my thoughts.
    PS - LOVING the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alycia, I'm always amazed by so many of my writer friends who are married to engineers. I think you're right, there must be something to that pairing! Blessings, E

      Delete
    2. Not only am I married to an engineer, I am one! You can imagine the work God's doing to transform me from a technical, analytical person to the writer He wants to be. That's why my business card says "Reformed Engineer" :)

      Delete
  3. Kirk, Wednesdays have special meaning now. I get to read what Gary's thinking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby doesn't share your profession but another one I noticed among Christian fiction female writers - pastor. I cannot tell a lie - being a pastor's wife does provide rich fodder for stories. When I say something "writerly" my hubby looks at me and says: "This is a writer thing, right?" I just grin and nod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I get the same comment about, "This is a writer thing." Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  5. I love it!!! Edie's characters in Kirk's head!! That's so awesome! Edie does have phenomenal characters. :)

    Add me to the "writer married to engineer" group.

    BTW, guess what Kirk? You're a writer now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, don't encourage him! Thanks so much for taking time to comment, Blessings, E

      Delete
  6. Funny, Kirk. I'm one of the few writers not married to an engineer or a pastor. In fact, I'm not married at all. LOL. It always tickles me when nonwriters catch whatever it is that writers have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirk, before my kids came along, would you care to guess what I was?
    An engineer!
    My advice? Do whatever the voices tell you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice that you share your wife's interest (and office). In my four years of being a stay-at-home guy with a wife who goes to work every day, my wife has yet to read any of my blogs or show much of any interest in them. Maybe some of my characters should make their presence known to her. Then again, she might run us all out of the house.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you called them "normals," Edie. My husband will be happy to hear the news. I've tried to make him feel like the crazy one (he's not buying it) and I don't even have characters who visit him. You're lucky, Kirk. You have an excuse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I told my doctor once that my characters were coming to life and talking to me and telling me what to write. You should have seen his face! If I hadn't explained, I think he was ready to lock me up--or at least prescribe medication.

    ReplyDelete