Friday, December 7, 2012

Life Lessons—It's Never too Late

by Reba J Hoffman, Ph.D.


It's never too Late to follow your dream

I hear individuals all the time saying they wish they would have done something earlier in life, because now it’s too late. I can understand that if you wanted to be a child idol and you’re 35. I’d say that dream is gone. If you want to be a wide receiver for the NFL and you’re 62 AND female, chances are that ain’t gonna happen.
But the overwhelming number of once-upon-a-time’s can still be achieved. I know an eighty-three year old who always wanted to go to college. But, marriage, kids, wars, illness, deaths and other life events kept coming up. Now she’s in the classroom working on her degree.

On February 20, 1962, astronaut John Glenn was the first human to orbit the earth as part of the Friendship 7
in Nasa’s Mercury Space Program. He always dreamed of returning to space. He felt it was of tremendous importance to understanding the rigors of space on the human body. In 1998, John Glenn returned to space, fittingly aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery.
Take a chance and join the race!
Want more? Jessica Cox flies an airplane without arms. She uses her feet. Tony Melendez plays the guitar the same way. Both were born without arms. Didn’t stop them.
Still not convinced? Katy Sullivan runs without legs. Never had them. Mikey Stolzenberg, a 12-year-old boy from Florida, plays high school lacrosse without arms or legs.
My point is that it’s never too late to become what you’ve always wanted to be. What to be a salsa dancer? Don’t know why since salsa is better eaten with tortilla chips, but hey, if you want to dance salsa, then why not?

Following your dream can be as simple as ABC
Want to ignite that fire of passion again in your heart for a dream long left for dead? Do this and you’ll be amazed at what happens:
  • Admit. It’s ok to say that you allowed your life to lead you off the path you wanted to be on.
  • Believe. Pure and simple. Believe you can do it. Perhaps not like you could when you were a kid, but you can still do it. Believe!
  • Commit. Determine in your heart, soul and spirit that nothing will keep you from living your dream.

It’s really simple as ABC. I didn’t say it was easy but it surely is simple. Never underestimate the potential you have and always believe it’s never too late to be who you are destined to be.
What do you dream of doing? What happened to derail you? Do you think it’s time to live it? Share it here.



Reba J. Hoffman is the founder and president of Magellan Life Coaching (www.magellanlifecoaching.com). She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Counseling and is a natural encourager. She serves as Member Care Coach for My Book Therapy and is the author of Dare to Dream, A Writer’s Journal. You can connect with Reba through her motivational blog, Finding True North, or by email at reba@magellanlifecoaching.com. You can also follow her on Twitter at @RebaJHoffman.

7 comments:

  1. I'm living my dream late in my life. I also believe it's never too late to have a dream and pursue it. At 91, my mom wanted to learn how to text and use FB. And she did. She has her own FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat you and your mom exemplify what I know to be true. It's NEVER too late. Ok, maybe it's too late to be 4, but it's never too late to life the life you always wanted to live. It's never too late to live a dream. I'm proud of you AND your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reba, thanks for this wonderful post. Being totally blind, I always used to think that it would stop me from my dream of writing. That was until I met Edie and Vonda Skelton! Those 2 ladies have shown me that it's not too late and that whatever your disability may be, it doesn't matter! Just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't you do this when you were younger? You have waited too late now. This is what goes through my mind all the time and I have to fight it. I have always loved writing but haven't done anything about it until now and I am in my late 50's. Thank you for this post because I need to keep hearing it. I won't give up, but I need encourgement like this to tell me it's not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so true. I flew for the first time in 2010--all the way to NM (from PA) for my first writer's conference! And I was 53 at that time! I'm now published and starting new chapters in my life as a sculptor(buried talent), speaker and author. God isn't finished with me YET!

    ReplyDelete